What am I missing
I have felpro 9333pt1 gaskets
Arp bolts that ill torque 85 top 75 lower 3 steps
Copper sealent spray to cover headgaskets

Anything else I could use?

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Cooper rtv for exhaust manifold gaskets, thread sealer for lower head bolts , moly lube for top head bolts, coolant, oil change, valve cover gaskets

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What type of thread sealer should I buy?

·
Registered
49 Posts
When i blew my head gaskets I called arp and talked to them and the tech said to torque the top row to 95 and the bottom to 85 if you dont the necked down studs. I used the permetex thread sealer with ultra black silicon under the washers on the bottom row and arp lube everywhere else. Mine has seen 13lbs with no problems yet (knock on wood). I didnt use copper spray on my 9333s but i dont guess it would hurt. I just cleaned both deck surfaces with brake clean and a rag and put a dot of silicon in the upper corners to help deal oil leaks.

Also I see you are from tn. what part?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks fellas here's my plan tell me how it sounds I didn't have time to do it today. I was gonna use the lub on the washers 30w oil on the top bolts and black silone on the threads of the bottom. That sound good? Also ill bump up the torque to 95 85

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Copper sealant on Felpro 9333's ?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Copper spray is good. Oil on the bolts is bad. I would use the nickel antisieze before oil if I didn't have the arp lube

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
438 Posts
Are u using bolts or studs? If u are using bolts i would chase the threads in the block to make sure they are clean. To tell u the truth i would use studs instead. Not sure if i would use silicone. Arp makes some type of teflon sealant that what i use. Oil or anti-sieze under head bolts and washers.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are u using bolts or studs? If u are using bolts i would chase the threads in the block to make sure they are clean. To tell u the truth i would use studs instead. Not sure if i would use silicone. Arp makes some type of teflon sealant that what i use. Oil or anti-sieze under head bolts and washers.
Well ill be using the arp bolts cause I have them already I was planning on cutting slots into the old bolts to chase the thread in the block could I pick up antiseize at a local auto parts? So what should I use for the top bolts?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Found this in the box could I use this for the top bolts?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes that is what you are supposed to use. But if you are using bolts and not studs I would not torque them to 95 and 85. Call arp and see what the suggest. I personally wouldn't run the bolts unless they are the pro series which are the same price as the studs. I had arp bolts in mine when the gaskets blew and the arp tech said they didn't have the clamping force I needed for that boost. That's just my 2 cents

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
i am curious what is the op using bolts or studs??? have never used their bolts the studs is what i use. jd23fe west of nashville is where i am at

·
Registered
967 Posts
I'm using their head bolts and used their moly lube & thread sealer - torqued to 85 on top, 75 on bottom running 12psi over 3 years now and no issues yet.

Sent from my MB860 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm using bolts! I've had these laying around for a few months so I might as well use them. So the lub in the box is what I should use for the top and antiseize on the bottom?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Use the lube for the top bolt threads and also on all washers & under all the head bolt flanges to ensure consistent torque. Use permatex thread sealer for the bottom bolt threads.

Sent from my MB860 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
839 Posts
Just like exploder said. Arp lube on top threads and sealant on the bottom threads. I use Teflon pipe sealant paste myself. Then use the arp lube on both sides of all the washers. You are trying to get a good smooth consistent "wet" torque. I usually go 30, 55, and whatever arp recommends for that particular fastner. You want to make your last pull in one smooth even pull. If you stop just short of the torque, you have to overcome the initial friction to get the fastener turning again. Most likely it will just click but will be wrong. Only fix is to loosen it slighty and pull it again. I just replaced arp head bolts on my engine with studs. Gt40p heads were lifting when sprayed with a 150 shot of nitrous. After studs, I am spraying 225 with no issues. Studs are far superior to bolts in torque accuracy and clamping force.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
299 Posts
The extra torque on the top bolts is a must. With good results I have started to torque the heads down then letting them sit overnight then re-torque them the next day. This gives the head gasket time to compress and will slightly lower your torque on the bolts/studs. Reason for the need of the re-torque.

Do not copper spray the 9333's

1 - 19 of 19 Posts