Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to do? Are there any good How-To's out there? I'm sure I could handle it, but I'd like to get an idea of how to do it on this particular car.

I only need to change the rear pads, as the fronts were replaced recently under warranty (long story).

Also, what kind of pads should I get? I'm assuming there's something out there thats better (and probably cheaper) than the stock Ford pads.

·
Registered
214 Posts
OK:
1. two pads I like and have been most recommended to me by the SCCA crowd have been EBC and carbo tech, depends on what you want to to with the car though, ie autocross, drag, open track etc?
2. Not hard at all, best investment i'd recommend is pick up the Haynes mustang manual at the book store (might have to order it, I did). It will take you through step by step. Just pay attention to the bleeding process, its a two man job.
3. It really helps to have a lift near by (thanks Fort Campbell autoshop) but not totally necessary.
Hope that helps, I just changed all mine out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I have the Haynes manual for the 94-98 Stangs, but not 99+. Is the procedure the same? Also, how long did it take you to change yours? Any unpredicted problems?

This is just basic maintenance really. I would love to upgrade the rotors while im at it, but it's just not in the budget right now. I do go to the drag strip every now and then, but never road courses.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TennGT said:
No nothing strange with the maint side of it, just make sure you bleed them well, that will take any of the "mushiness" out of the brake lines.

I read the Haynes manual for the 94-98 Mustangs and they don't mention bleeding the system when changing the rear pads. They just say to hang the caliper from the axle with a piece of coat hanger and not disconnect the hose.

What's the deal with bleeding?

I really should get a Haynes book for the 99+ I guess :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts