Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as things change year to year.what do you think works best for a street car and some 1/5 mile stuff let's call it your daily driver weekend car .

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Your question is too vague. Define "works best"..
Killing flies?
Looking Pretty?
Cooking oatmeal?
Mowing the yard?
?

ks

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I could care less if it looks like just what works good .its a street car will sit in hot weather on hwy traffic sometimes .

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I could care less if it looks like just what works good .its a street car will sit in hot weather on hwy traffic sometimes .
Please understand, you're not telling us what you want it to do so we cannot help you make a choice.

If you can't explain to us what you want it to do then leave it as-is..

ks

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just asking what is better ? I had wrap on a big single turbo rotary on the down pipe worked great .I just want to know what is better with keeping the temps down ceramic coating or wraping them?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The general rule of thumb is that the closer the part is to the engine, the more important it is to wrap or coat. Therefore, headers being the most important, overpipe/frontpipe being second, and the rest last. My recommendation is to only coat the headers and the overpipe.

Wrapping or coating the frontpipe + midpipe can actually result to decrease in performance. The reason you want to coat the headers + overpipe is because the hotter the exhaust gets, the faster it expands, and exerts this force into the turbines of your turbo making it an effective system. After it passes the turbine, you want it to cool down as fast as possible.

By coating or wrapping your front/mid pipes, you are essentially adding more pressure where it has no benefits leading to unnecessary wear to your exhaust parts.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just to clarify something. The wrap does not create heat, it only insulates. so wrapping a pipe will not make the pipe hotter, it will hold the heat in longer vs. unwrapped pipe lengthening the cool down process. And if you wrap unprotected thin mild steel it will rust, just like if you didn't wrap unprotected steel pipes. (ever see an old set of cheap headers? rusted to pieces) I've had wrap on my turbo kit for about 2 years, i sprayed the high temp paint on first and have no issues. The wrap is cheaper and will hold in radiant heat much better than coating, but does not protect the raw steel like coating does.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Just asking what is better ? I had wrap on a big single turbo rotary on the down pipe worked great .I just want to know what is better with keeping the temps down ceramic coating or wraping them?
This is what we needed to know. Your first post was similar to asking what tree is best..best for what? Building a boat, making a bat, shading a yard, lasting through drought, etc..

Anyway, a wrap will keep underhood temps down more than ceramic coating.

ks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts