Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a 4 wheel alignment show if the rear diff is or isn't centered in the car?

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
It is called "thrust angle".

Reactions: KEVIN$

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Thrust angle tells the angle of the rear axle compared to the front axle. It tells which direction (angle) the rear tires are pushing (thrust) the car. This doesn't tell you how centered the rear tires are left to right within the car.

To find that, you need to make sure that the alignment tech prints out secondary or advanced alignment data. You are looking for the Geometric centerline offset value. That tells you if the rear axle is offset to one side.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thrust angle tells the angle of the rear axle compared to the front axle. It tells which direction (angle) the rear tires are pushing (thrust) the car. This doesn't tell you how centered the rear tires are left to right within the car.

To find that, you need to make sure that the alignment tech prints out secondary or advanced alignment data. You are looking for the Geometric centerline offset value. That tells you if the rear axle is offset to one side.
Thanks Jack. That's just the info I needed.

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I need to clarify. I'm talking about side to side alignment and not front to back. In the Jeeping world we used adjustable track bars when lifting the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
UCA’s will move axle left and right. LCA’s will move it front to back.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok. I really didn't think the UCA's would have that much effect but then again; most cars probably aren't off that much.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Ok. I really didn't think the UCA's would have that much effect but then again; most cars probably aren't off that much.
If you draw it out with the angle of the suspension movement, it will make sense. Once you get under there and start adjusting them, you’ll see the movement. Small adjustments and many measurements.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you draw it out with the angle of the suspension movement, it will make sense. Once you get under there and start adjusting them, you’ll see the movement. Small adjustments and many measurements.
Thank you. I still need to measure the diff location and go from there. I have way too much time on my hands. Lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts