Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1996 cobra, weekend car used for autocross.
I'm either going to get CC plates, or rebuild the 'unlimited slip' diff, I can't afford both this auto-x season.

Current suspension mods: MM full-length Subs, H&R Race springs, Bilstein HD's, MM SS f.brake lines, Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1s, FR upper arms, MM lower arms.

I managed to get a fair amount of neg. camber from the stock strut tops,
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/pj350/PICT0104.jpg

Would the advantages of additional camber & caster get more bang for the buck then being able to steer the car more with the throttle from a rebuilt diff? Which would you guys pick for autocross?

EDIT: I'd just be doing the carbon disk kit as opposed to a torsen diff if I decide against the cc plates...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Edit: I'd just be doing the carbon disk kit as opposed to a torsen diff if I decide against the cc plates...

·
Registered
506 Posts
ditto on the diff

main thing CC plates seemed to do for me was make my tires wear beautifully! :)

no more gouged and worn outer edges while the inner edges are still shiny

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
When you look at the outsides of your front tires after your first autocross event, you'll know why you should have gone with c/c plates.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When you look at the outsides of your front tires after your first autocross event, you'll know why you should have gone with c/c plates.
My tires have about 20k miles of daily driving, and 10+ autox events, the wear is almost perfect, which is why I'm so up in the air in terms of the decision.

Assuming I have the right amount of neg. camber, how much is more caster really going to help the handling?

Thanks!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Subscribing, I have almost the exact same set up (factory cc plates modded to give 2 degrees of negative camber) and I'm putting off getting MM plates because I don't think the caster they will give me is more important than swapping out my tired rear diff or Tokiko Blues first.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Subscribing, I have almost the exact same set up (factory cc plates modded to give 2 degrees of negative camber) and I'm putting off getting MM plates because I don't think the caster they will give me is more important than swapping out my tired rear diff or Tokiko Blues first.
I just replaced my lower arms w/ MM ones, even though my bushings were in good shape (48k mile car), it's a night & day difference in control at the limit, maybe do the lower arms before either the diff or cc plates?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I would love to put they would kick me out of ESP :(

·
Registered
506 Posts
you're already out! ;)

E. Steering rack bushings may be replaced, but must attach in the
factory location(s) without additional modification or changes.
Steering rack position may not be changed. The amount of metal
in a replacement bushing may not be increased relative to the
amount of metal found in a standard bushing for the particular
application. Solid metal bushings are specifically prohibited.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Differntial first. You can get camber a number of other ways (some even ESP legal now). The biggest issue any pony-car has is getting power down.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Code:
A few of the other NY region mustang/camaro guys have minor non-esp mods like back seat removal, diff gear, lower control arms etc, I contacted my scca region and also the other people in esp beforehand, they all gave me the "ok" to replace the lower arms with aftermarket ones as long as the bushing does not change the location of the arm or bushing (changing the mounting point of the arm).

Thanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
186 Posts
you're already out! ;)

E. Steering rack bushings may be replaced, but must attach in the
factory location(s) without additional modification or changes.
Steering rack position may not be changed. The amount of metal
in a replacement bushing may not be increased relative to the
amount of metal found in a standard bushing for the particular
application. Solid metal bushings are specifically prohibited.
Shhhhhhhh :) I only run at local events and us ESP guys have an agreement that we let each-other have a few illegal things here and there as long as they won't make us a ton faster :evil:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts