Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, Im currently running a stock 5.0 block with 33,*** original miles. ITS ON A 91GT BTW.I have 1.72 rockers, manley pushrods, edelbrock performer aluminum heads, edelbrock upper/lower intake. Im currently running a 190lph fuel pump and 30lbers. I just picked up a Cartech SS kit with a percision 60mm turbo. Kit came with everything i basicly need. But i have a few questions, because he couldnt find the manual. Im planning on runnning sumwhere between 7-10lbs on a nice tune. Im running a MSD 6BTM with a stock ECU.

Question #1. What kind of plug should i start running?

Question #2. What Oil filter is supposed to be used for clearance?

Question #3 What Size Injectors/Maf/Fuel Pump/FPR???

Question #4. Im planning on purchasing a tuner. My buddy has PMS, but im just trying to find a decent setup so i can enough money for everything. So which tuner? PMS, TWEECER ECT? Also, what Wideband or Pyrometer??? or do i really need those guages if i pick up a nice fuel management unit?

Please let me know

ATTETNION!!! If anyone has a CARTECH INSTALLATION MANUAL in a PDF. PLEASE LET ME KNOW

Im planning on installing in a few weeks.

Thanks So much guys

PaT #06

·
Registered
981 Posts
1. Autolite 3923’s
2. Remote mount or a 90* adapter
3. 60lbs/SCT or Pmas/255 intank & T-rex or BBk external pump & boost referenced fpr

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Hey Guys, Im currently running a stock 5.0 block with 33,*** original miles. ITS ON A 91GT BTW.I have 1.72 rockers, manley pushrods, edelbrock performer aluminum heads, edelbrock upper/lower intake. Im currently running a 190lph fuel pump and 30lbers. I just picked up a Cartech SS kit with a percision 60mm turbo. Kit came with everything i basicly need. But i have a few questions, because he couldnt find the manual. Im planning on runnning sumwhere between 7-10lbs on a nice tune. Im running a MSD 6BTM with a stock ECU.

Question #1. What kind of plug should i start running?
My first choice would be NGK 4554’s (R5671A-8). I believe they are one step colder than stock, and they have a recessed tip that keeps spark blowout to a minimum under with higher compressions (great for boosted apps).

My second choice would be Autolite 3923’s. While they work well for most people, I did have spark blowout issues with them which was completely resolved with the above mentioned NGK’s. The downside to them is the electrode is completely exposed and you will have to gap them smaller to keep spark blowout to a minimum. They also have an extremely long ground strap…which when you hap them down hangs over the center electrode with an overlap. To function properly, the strap really should be trimmed down...which is something most of us would rather have to do. On the flipside, because the electrode hangs out like a d*c$ in the wind….they tend to clean themselves better if you’re tune isn’t spot on. I will say however, I’ve yet to foul out the NGK’s with even a horribly rich tune….while I’ve fouled out multiple sets of the 3923’s with the same said horrible tune (it’s all fixed now).

Question #3 What Size Injectors/Maf/Fuel Pump/FPR???
I would use a minimum of 42lb injectors and a 255hp fuel pump. In turbo apps, they are good for ~ 500rwhp give or take. As for the FPR, keep the stocker. It’s more than adequate for the power levels you will see on the stock block. There are a few options for a MAF sensor….the most obvious being pmas or pro-m. You also have the option of going with a 90mm lightning meter….but it will require a tune to be able to drive it anywhere (tow it to the tuners). It’s by far the cheapest meter for the money however…but I believe it’s only good for 450-500rwhp in blow thru apps.

Question #4. Im planning on purchasing a tuner. My buddy has PMS, but im just trying to find a decent setup so i can enough money for everything. So which tuner? PMS, TWEECER ECT? Also, what Wideband or Pyrometer??? or do i really need those guages if i pick up a nice fuel management unit
If you plan on getting a professional tune, you really have no need for a wideband or pyrometer. Sure, a wideband would be nice to keep an eye on things….but it would not be a necessity. If you were to tune yourself however, a wideband would be a must. You may also want to check into the likes of megasquirt if you are a DIY guy. It would eliminate the MAF sensor (money saved) and gives you more control/features than any piggyback.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I'll second the NGK's Thats what I normally run but my parts shop was out the last time and I opted for the Autolites.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright im going to pick up a set of NGK 4554's. Are those pregapped. If not what gap are you running? .035? Secondly, if there was a choice what should i get 42lbers or go with 60lbers??? Lastly, im planning on having bob kurgan or someone locally to tune it. So im planning on picking up a ECU. Whats a decent route to go. The PMS is looking awful expensive. Well if all you guys reccomend not purchasing the WIDEBAND AND PYROMETER I will pick up an expensive ECU Unit such as PMS. Let me know

ALSO, DOES THE 91GT CARTECH KIT FIT WITH NO MODS WITH AN AFTERMARKET K-MEMBER, such as TeamZ Motorsports member.

Thanks so much for all the info guys.

PaT #06

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Alright im going to pick up a set of NGK 4554's. Are those pregapped. If not what gap are you running? .035? Secondly, if there was a choice what should i get 42lbers or go with 60lbers??? Lastly, im planning on having bob kurgan or someone locally to tune it. So im planning on picking up a ECU. Whats a decent route to go. The PMS is looking awful expensive. Well if all you guys reccomend not purchasing the WIDEBAND AND PYROMETER I will pick up an expensive ECU Unit such as PMS. Let me know

ALSO, DOES THE 91GT CARTECH KIT FIT WITH NO MODS WITH AN AFTERMARKET K-MEMBER, such as TeamZ Motorsports member.

Thanks so much for all the info guys.

PaT #06
If you have an aftermarket ignition, you can start around .035. If you are using the stock ignition I'd start in the .28 range and work your way up from there.

If you plan on tuning yourself, a wideband is a must. Your decision on the tuning method should be well thought out though. You could simply go with a chip from a tuner....or go with something that you could tweek yourself (pms, tweecer etc.). I can't comment on the best method, but whatever route you choose....be sure your tuner knows it if you are having him do it.

As for the injectors....I'd go with the 60's. They will leave some room for error.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts