Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car is in pieces right now. there are no accessories on the motor. the radiator is out of the car also. we just finished the wiring (hiding wires) and finally got it started today. the motor fires up and idles for about 10 or 20 seconds and then dies. if i rev it up it stays running, but as soon as i let off it starts to miss really bad then dies. there is no miss as i rev it up though. im just running headers at this point so i can hear the motor real well. the egr is not hooked up, the 02 sensors arent hooked up, and there is no coolant in the block (temp sensor?). give me some suggestions. by the way there arent and vaccum leaks. l double checked. thanks for any help.

·
Registered
12,471 Posts
The temp sensor will not cause your problems. Even with no temp sensor, the PCM will substitute a 180° value in its place and throw a check engine light.

*EDIT - just noticed the part about O2 sensors - I suggest getting them hooked up. :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
double check your timing!!
that's all can think of

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
93cobra#2771, i went out this morning and unplugged the temp sensor and it ran much better, and richer. i got a face full of fumes. would there be a difference from an unplugged temp sensor and a temp sensor that is plugged in and getting no signal because there is no water? the car is running but im still curious as to why it wouldnt run with the sensor plugged in. any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
940 Posts
the car wont run without the ECT sensor. maybe since there's no water, its not getting a signal

·
Registered
10,860 Posts
I'm having the same EXACT problem with my daughters ZX2 and I unplugged the ECT and it ran fine. wants to die while ideling but just barely touch the throttle and it's OK. I'll start with replacing the TPS.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
My car did that when I forgot to plug in the MAF. Go buy a $25 to $30 ford code scanner and pull the Key On Engine Off codes. A bad TPS will stop your engine from starting at all. A buddy of mine learned this lesson the "many, many, hours" way.

With no water that ECT still gets signal. I've ran my motor without the radiator hooked up several times... probably bad for the waterpump though :)

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i had a problem with the tps when i first got my car. i pulled a code for it then replaced it and disconnected the battery. i ran on it for a while and the code came back up, no surprise because the car still ran bad. it was only when i searched the corral that i found out that the tps had to be at a certain position to send out the correct voltage to the eec. i whipped out the voltmeter and fixed that problem real fast. i learn something new about my car everyday.

hey tmoss, before i disconnected the temp sensor i could barely smell any gas when the motor was running( straight headers), and when i did disconnect it i could barely stand the fumes. so for some reason the car was running way too lean. i dont think the sensor is bad because it was running fine before the teardown but im going to replace it any way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts