Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96 cobra wouldn't start this morning, I went and bought a new battery, and go to start her up and NOTHING!! not even trying to turn over??? Any suggestions? anything with the alarm maybe, or the starter, or anything...... thanks a ton :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
[email protected] that sucks, I wish I could help you but I have no idea what that could be. Not even a "click"??? Thats wierd...:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Do any lights come one, I.E. is it just not cranking, or is there no power peroid?
Dan

·
Registered
77 Posts
From what you put down, it sounds like your battery is dead again. If thats the case and if you are absolutely possitive you didn't leave any power on last night, most likely your alternator is beat, or someone set your alarm off and it ran until the battery died. But you would have probable heard it, then again if you have a good alarm system it would automatically shut down after 5 minites leaving you enough juice to start the car.
My guess is the alt. if the battery is dead again, good luck

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
checked battery with gauges and the new one is good.... car just won't crank over at all!! still not sure, thinking either a ground came loose or the starter is shot... all the lights and gauges come on...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well if your dome lights still work then its not your battery, or your altenator. More then likely its your starter, which is a pain to get to and take out.

·
Registered
622 Posts
yeah...starter. That's where I'd presume the problem to be. Battery is good, so the starter would be doing something.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Did this just happen, one day you woke up and it just wouldnt start, or has the problem been coming on for a while, has it been cranking slower and slower everyday? My first guess would be wirings gone bad, or maybe a bad stater solenoid. Try bypassing the starter solenoid, make sure the car is in neutral when you do this or you will get run over by your car! Im not exactly sure where the solenoid is, but Ill try and find it and tell you where it is. If it doesnt crank when you bypass the solenoid, then its wiring or a bad starter, and you should be able to tell if its the wiring just by looking at all the wires going to and from the starter and solenoid, make sure all the grounds are secure, if there is any exposed wiring, see if there is much corrosion, if there is that could be it. If bypassing the solenoid doesnt work, and all the wiring looks good, then its probably the starter itself. Good luck.
Dan
P.S. If you really need to get it started, just have a friend push you down your driveway, and at about 5mph(with the ignition in the "run" position, pop the clutch, I have had to do this befor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check the stud in the block where the negative battery cable connects. There is a bulletin that discusses this. The stud is not the correct material and needs to be replaced. Mine actually did this at the dealership after an oil change. They replaced the stud and all was well.

Carl

·
Registered
327 Posts
Tap (or a little harder) the starter with a hammer. It's not all that uncommon for one to stick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts