Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 00 GT with auto, 3.73, superchip, 80mm mass air. I was doing 60mph on highway and put pedal to floor car reved to 6k and went nowhere.

Sal

·
Registered
1,136 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
I had a similar problem which occured at lower speeds as I slowly turned thru intersections it would 'neutral' out occasionaly at very dangerous times. To fix this problem yourself you will have to become an expert on the ways of the 4R70W and reference materials can be bought to help. PM me if interested in sources.
Here is what I did as I surmised that the pressure may be low for whatever reason or is not getting to the clutches
1. Change your fluid every year or 20K miles for Mercon-V spec fluid.
2. Drop the pan, clean the magnet in the bottom of the pan.
3. Drop the valve body and clean all the valves with brake cleaner. Dont loose or misplace the balls.
4. Inspect the main pressure regulator valve for wear on one side. You may want to replace it with the 'improved' one from Sonnax. Clean off any remnants of the old gasket. Reassemble with new gaskets and use a torque wrench.
5. Remove and flush out SS1, SS2 and TCC solenoids with brake cleaner. Replace solenoids with a little fluid on the O rings.
6. Replace vlave body, remember to torque the bolts to spec ,replace connectors and pan. Old pan gasket is re-uaseable if not torn. You may want to add a drain plug to the pan as you will want to change the fluid more often from now on. A cast finned pan from B&M comes with a drain plug. Ford also makes a pan witha drain plug. Refil with fresh Mercon-V
7. You may want to drain the torque converter as it is still 1/2 filled with the old fluid. Some aftermaket torque converters do not have drain plugs.

Winston.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts