Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
someone drained the oil out of my buddies 99 cobra and he didnt know it. car was ran with no oil now we think some bearings are shot in the block. since we are going to have to engine out we think were going with forged rods and pistons also. where is best place to get all the parts we need for a block rebuild?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
If your buddy can live with stock internals, he can pick up a new OE shortblock for a pretty reasonable price ($2200) from Kar Kraft >>>http://www.karkraft.com/engines.htm

You'll need to take a close look at the heads. Because the heads have no replaceable cam bushings/bearings (bearing surfaces machined directly into the heads), he may need new heads.

Good luck with the project...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
were going to have the engine out of the car so we might as well upgrade the rods/pistons now. anyone know of a good place to buy these and the bearings and seals will all need to be replaced also

·
Registered
415 Posts
Doo huh! I hate it when that happens!:mad: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
91 Posts
DaveD said:
someone drained the oil out of my buddies 99 cobra and he didnt know it. car was ran with no oil now we think some bearings are shot in the block. since we are going to have to engine out we think were going with forged rods and pistons also. where is best place to get all the parts we need for a block rebuild?
what makes you think some bearings are shot? did the engine sieze entirely, or is it just knocking? knocking from top or bottom?

someone went through the trouble of draining the oil, then replacing the drain plug, and didnt make a mess under the car? how can you not know it? the little gauge on the dash woulda said there was no oil pressure. smells like a troll.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I would be more worried about the heads, especially if you had no oil. I just took apart a 4v motor that lost all its oil and the driverside head took a beating, the exhaust cam seized and it snapped the secondary chain and destroyed the tensioner, also the cam journal was graded pretty bad. The block would had survived if the chain hadnt broke and the valves wouldnt had hit the pistons. Just make sure you check the heads, especially the drive side head, because thats the one that takes the hit..DA snake Boy!!!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
BTW, they do make a cam bearing kit for the SOHC and the DOHC. You can get them at Ford Performance Solutions and Compettition Heads, both companies are in Anahiem Calif...DA Snake Boy!!!

O

·
0 Posts
I just went/going thru it....

Loss of oil is a fcker in these things. Duane V helped me disassemble most of it. Driver side head damaged but repairable with bearings. Cams on that side a pretty much toast, broken chain, bent valves, scoring of the rod bearings and main bearing but no serious damage to crank or block.

stock cobra short blocks are cheap now if you don't have a power adder.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
his borther borrowed the car for a couple days and we think it was his ex-wife that did it because she did it to his brothers car also. now that that is out of the way... we had the valve cover off on the drivers side and everything looks alright. the car doesnt idle anymore it stalls if you dont give it gas and we ran it on low rpm with the valve cover off and the knocking sounds like its coming from the block. we'll know for sure when we get sometime and take apart the engine. anyone know how hard it is to pull a 99 cobra engine?

·
Registered
415 Posts
DaveD said:
we think it was his ex-wife that did it because she did it to his brothers car also.
OMG!:barf: If that were my car I'd be in jail for 187 right now:mad:

what a F-ing ******

O

·
0 Posts
JOEYS said:

OMG!:barf: If that were my car I'd be in jail for 187 right now:mad:

what a F-ing ******
Move one live ***** over to the dead ***** pile.....

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
his borther borrowed the car for a couple days and we think it was his ex-wife that did it because she did it to his brothers car also.
WTF??!! :eek:

If that is truely the case, then that ***** seriously needs to be put in her place...
**** that...:mad: ...That makes me sick...:barf:

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
OMG.....that sucks, I'd report that ***** to the cops ASAP! Get her prints off the drain plug or something, I dunno! :mad:

If a new motor is going to replace it, you might want to check out this thread I spotted over in the classifieds section:

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=145707

or PM username: Hammerfish (bishopengine.com ? I think)

·
Registered
91 Posts
my sincerest apologies

it sounded unbelievable at first. throw a psycho***** into the equasion and it suddenly makes sense. sorry.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts