Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 mustang with the 4.0 v6. It just recently started making a whining noise when revving the engine in the mornings. It does it going down the road or If you put it in neutral and rev the car it still makes the noise. After the car is driven a couple minutes and warms up the sound disappears. Any idea what this might be?

·
Registered
2006 Ford Mustang GT
2,847 Posts
It sounds like worn bearings in one of the belt driven pulleys. If the noise goes away when you start the engine from cold without the serpentine drivebelt, this will confirm the diagnosis. Then you can spin each pulley manually and see which one makes a grinding noise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Somehow, these types of noises are associated with an exhaust leak. Over time, your exhaust system will rust because of the temperature changes and the moisture in your exhaust gases. This rust can eventually lead to holes in the pipes and mufflers that allow the exhaust gas to escape, which can cause a lot of noise. Hope that answers your question.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ford has used stainless steel pipe in their exhausts for a long time. My '89 LX 5.0L came with SS exhaust. They will last for decades in most cases. My money is on the noise coming from something in the accessory drive.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a 2010 mustang with the 4.0 v6. It just recently started making a whining noise when revving the engine in the mornings. It does it going down the road or If you put it in neutral and rev the car it still makes the noise. After the car is driven a couple minutes and warms up the sound disappears. Any idea what this might be?
Noise worse when you turn the wheel? I don't know if the 2010's had hydraulic or electric power steering, but whinning could be the pump if you got one, as pointed out.

·
Registered
2006 Ford Mustang GT
2,847 Posts
The OP hasn't given us any feedback after 4 months so it isn't worth trying to help him any further. It's very frustrating when the OP makes just one post and then disappears.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts