Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a difficult and long process, my car is running again. To recap, the setup includes a vortech s trim with upgraded impeller, a renegade fuel system, ati procharger intercooler, built bottom end, and ported heads and intake. The pulley of choice was 2.95 in. According to UPR, my tuner, the car was cavitating terribly at mid range due to the high boost going through the intercooler. So the intercooler is off and it runs fine they said. I am picking it up tomorrow.
Does anyone else have midrange rpm drivability (cavitation) problems with a high boost intercooled application? (16 + lbs boost)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hey Emil,

You probably don't remember me, but I talked to you once. I'm the guy that had a yellow Cobra that was stolen last year.

I'm glad to hear you're car is finally in action. I still have to come and check it out, if you don't mind.

P.S.
What kind of numbers did you finally get after the tune?

Later,

Pete

·
Registered
381 Posts
Cavitating???

Hmmm...what exactly do they mean by "cavitating" :confused: ...that's usually a term you hear associated with fuel pumps, and their inability to flow fuel at a specific rate...never heard of that when talking about an A/A IC... Anyway, I'm running a 2.83" pulley with an SHM S-Trim, I had MANY problems running this setup drawing through a MAF...after eliminating the MAF (ie. FAST) I no longer have problems and all seems to be well.

Justin
'97 Vobra Coupe #35
http://www.guieectuner.com
http://dohcvobra.corral.net

W

·
0 Posts
Cavitation is the rapid formation and collapse of vapor bubbles usually causing impeller damage and lots of noise. I'm a nuclear engineer and deal with cavitation (more of prevention of) of reactor coolant pumps. It's a bad thing, and you definitely don't want that to happen. I'm not exactly sure how it relates to a gas though, I mostly deal with it with water, but I'm sure it's similar.

Kind of off subject but just food for thought.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
But his "cavitation " is in the incoming airstream. So how exactly does AIR "Cavitate"? Maybe the they meant "Turbulence".

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
I have seen this with an IC and just normal driving. The air turbulence was caused by inadequate bypass of air from the long inlet tube from the core to the TB. I added a 2nd bypass and solved it. In addition, if they are using a blow through MAF then this will also cause a similar affect.

Again, this is all in part throttle, not WOT. If they were getting WOT problems it is something else.

Chris

·
Registered
84 Posts
YellowReptile said:
Vortech Supercharger (Upgraded Kit), UPR Power Pipe, Bosch 36lbs. injectors, 255lph Intank Fuel Pump,T-rex External Fuel Pump, Autolite Sparkplugs, UPR MaxSpark Ignition Box, UPR Custom Chip and Dynotune, Pro-M 77mm Mass Air Meter, K/N Big Mouth Air Filter,FMS 3.73 Gears, Kwick Kirban Short Throw Shifter, Nitto NT555 Drag Radials, Eiback Pro-Kit Lowering Springs (2 inch drop), Woodview Automotive Trim Brushed Aluminum Dash Kit, Autometer Boost and Electric Fuel Pressure Gauges, Custom Gauge Panel Under the Radio, Cobra Floormats, Bassani off-road X-pipe, 2 1/2 inch Two-Chamber Flowmaster Mufflers, Saleen Black Frame Tailights, Rewired Foglights, Custom Hood Scoop Lights, Carbon Fiber COBRA Rear Bumper Inserts, Antirust Undercarriage Coating, U-Haul Trailer Hitch (+25lbs), UPR Double Adjustable Upper Control Arms, UPR Adjustable Lower Control Arms, aftermarket belt tensioner, custom chrome molly 6 pt. roll bar with removable side bars, crossbrace subframe connectors, lakewood driveshaft loop, Mcleoud Kevlar Clutch and Pressure Plate, UPR adjustable clutch quadrant, MAC Long Tube Headers, Tremec 3550 and Lakewood Scattershield.
Best ET 11.86 on Nittos
Best MPH 120.4 on Nittos
Best 60' 1.87

***NEW TREMEC T-45 FOR SALE, still in the box. $800 + shipping***

Thats a long ass signature that doesnt even tell me what year car you are running. I am guessing a 96-98 cobra but a little help here.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Chris98vobra said:
I have seen this with an IC and just normal driving. The air turbulence was caused by inadequate bypass of air from the long inlet tube from the core to the TB. I added a 2nd bypass and solved it. In addition, if they are using a blow through MAF then this will also cause a similar affect.

Again, this is all in part throttle, not WOT. If they were getting WOT problems it is something else.

Chris
Chris, I have to dissagree with you on the blow-thru. That is what cured my similar problems, not what caused them.

Midrange drivability was terrible with the standard draw-thru, when we put a blow thru on it cured all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts