Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi was wondering if someone could help me. I have a 1999 V6 Mustang with 115,000 miles on it, and it just started to idol high. Any suggestions on why or what is causing the high idol? Anyone?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Your throttle may be sticking near the idle position or is obstructed, never going all the way down. (Have a Taurus with similar problem.) You may need to clean around the throttle stop and/or adjust it. Or the throttle cable is not releasing all the way, keeping the throttle from going down to idle.
Just some thoughts.
:curses:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I will check. How do I know if there is a vacumm leak? I think I may have to have my brother look at it or take it to the shop.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
also clean around the inside of the throttle bore itself. You'll be surprised to see how much junk will be in there.

I have never seen any "buildup" around the throttle stop on any car.

DO NOT turn the idle screw, that will not change your idle speed!! It will only screw up you throttle position voltage!!!!!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Im ignorant on the 3.8s, but where is the IAC located? My uncle just picked up an 01 and it has the surging idle problem. I am familiar with the 5.0s, but havent actually looked at these engines yet. Thanks in advance

1 - 6 of 6 Posts