Ford Mustang Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
before i start, i know i need a new mid-pipe. So get off my back on that one! :lol:

Car just hasn't been feeling right for the last week or so. It feels weak in between shifts and takes awhile to feel like i'm accelerating hard again.

Just curious, but could my spark plugs be gapped to high or something, and causing the lack-luster performance under WOT?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Matt, check the basics. When were the following changed last:
-plugs
-fuel filter
-air filter clean or replacement

Maybe pop in a pair of new coil packs from Accel. They give 10% more spark and duration. I think you have to get new wires when you get it though. MSD makes the best wires IMHO.

The plug gap should be 54 thous.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
esandes said:
Matt, check the basics. When were the following changed last:
-plugs
-fuel filter
-air filter clean or replacement

Maybe pop in a pair of new coil packs from Accel. They give 10% more spark and duration. I think you have to get new wires when you get it though. MSD makes the best wires IMHO.

The plug gap should be 54 thous.

plugs were changed 1 month ago, Autolite 764's gapped at .055
fuel filter was changed January of this year.
K&N was cleaned in august, when i did my headswap.

I put in new FRPP 9mm wires also when i did the swap back in august.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
regap the plugs to .045 thats to much gap. i just got threw that same problem. My ignition was breaking up in the high RPMS. Has the car been tuned at all? maybe you should consider a dyno tune after you get a mid pipe?

Dave

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Juiced46 said:
regap the plugs to .045 thats to much gap. i just got threw that same problem. My ignition was breaking up in the high RPMS. Has the car been tuned at all? maybe you should consider a dyno tune after you get a mid pipe?

Dave
yeah, thats my goal. New x pipe, then dyno tune. I'm really liking Fordchip.com, but i'm gonna miss their tuning session in FL in two weeks, so i'll have to wait and see.

Is it ok to just knock the metal part back down to .045, or should i just get new plugs and gap them??

Autolite 764's are a $1.88 for 2 at my local wal-mart. ;)

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
i've been chasing this problem with my car all year with my car.it does the exact thing you describe.i change plugs,fuel filter,even had a retune with another chip and still the car lays down between hard shifts.try this,take the car out and get on it hard.lift off the gas,kinda granny shift and then get back on it and see if it pulls strong.mines would pull hard if i let off the gas between shifts and then get back on it.if i try to speed or powershift,it does not pull.i posted this over on the drag race forum and every one said it was my clutch.i will take it apart some time in the next month.how old is your clutch ?
Randy

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my clutch is about 1 month old.

I just had a new SPEC stage 2 clutch installed.

It's got about 1600/1700 miles on it.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
juiced46,did closing the gap really solve your problem ? my car started doing the same thing he describe at the track.my car was running [email protected] for almost a year with 8psi and 317rwhp.the car would just not pull between shifts.i knew that if it would pull between shifts it would run in the 12's.i got tired of beeing stuck in the 13's so i went to 13 psi increasing my rwhp from 317 to 373 with a custom tune and chip from Mike Freedman.went back to the track hoping for mid to low 12's and 113-115 trap speeds.with 56 additional rwhp i was looking for 113-114 trap speeds.the car only ran 110.90 compare to 109 with 56 less hp.plugs autolites 764 gap at.35.i even close the gap to .30 and went back to the track.suprise the car is back trapping 109mph with 373rwhp and i was running 109 with 317rwhp.i probally wont know until i take the clutch out to see if its toast.it feels like clutch slip,but it drives fine during every day driving.maybe its only slipping at high rpms.
Randy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
had a new customers car that was doing the same, turned out another shop had done a headswap and the drivers side timing of the cam was off by one tooth on the cam sprocket.
Just an idea
Jason

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Steen Racing said:
had a new customers car that was doing the same, turned out another shop had done a headswap and the drivers side timing of the cam was off by one tooth on the cam sprocket.
Just an idea
Jason

this problem hasn't occured since the swap was first completed, only as of late.

Keith (FOMPK) and Boss96 were there to time the cams too.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Jeez! Keep your clothes on guys! :D Nahh, just playin'. :D

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.