Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background information:

The car is my wife 96 Gt with a NOVI 2000. Engine is pretty much stock and has the Paxton stock chip and fuel pump and car is a 5 speed. I replaced the IAC about 4 months ago and the car work great for a while. Then the car started to have problems when initially cranked on cold days. I posted the other day and everyone that posted told me to reset the computer. I did reset it yesterday and that is when my big problems started.

What the car is doing:

Still having the cranking problems where the car will be running great at idle then stops running until it warms up. Now my new problem is when you go past half throttle or above the car just stops acceleration (meaning the stays at the same rpm and speed as before flooring). When you let off the gas and bring it back to half throttle the car accelerates again. You can push in the clutch and the RPMs go up but then you reengage the clutch (when at ¾ to full throttle) the car does the same as above will not accelerate.
Any help would be appreciate.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Odds are MAF or TPS, probably TPS. Other possibility is that the chip is not correctly tuned or has problems. Most peeps I know that run superchargers get a reburn even if the SC comes with a chip, since they can only guess what else you've done to the car that will affect breathing. Something as small as an aftermarket h-pipe can throw the chip out of whack. Before you suspect the chip I'd check TPS and MAF voltages. I'm trying to recall, but I think TPS should be at about .90-.98V and MAF should be below 5V (5V being max flow, so idle is somewhere in 1-2V range probably). Can someone confirm or correct this please?

Lon

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Sounds like spark blow out to me.

Autolite 764 gapped to .035 should fix it.

Ed

·
Registered
277 Posts
Could be that too, but wouldn't that happen right after switching plugs and not just start happening to plugs that have been on the car a while?

Lon

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
97GTConvt said:
Could be that too, but wouldn't that happen right after switching plugs and not just start happening to plugs that have been on the car a while?

Lon
Maybe, maybe not. But it's very common, cheap and easy to fix. If he comes back and tells me that he's already gapped down the plugs to .035 then he needs to check the other things.

Ed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts