Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, just forgive me for offtopic, but since the forum is automotive, I decided to register here to ask an important question. I am writing a capstone project on the automotive industry. One of the questions that I study is electric cars and their future. Apart from scientific facts, I also need the opinion of motorists, car enthusiasts. I would be very grateful for the information provided.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Here is my opinion on electric cars..... They are always ugly. Why? Because the big three does not want them to sell because of their stake in the oil industry. Make a sporty looking manual shifting electric car and it will sell. Also find and watch this documentary, it will give you a lot of insight to the whole electric car issue. You can torrent it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I love the tech, and would like to own something electric one day but the systems are too proprietary and locked up for me. I'll never own a Tesla simply because they are connected 24/7 and Elon can push new software to your car whenever he feels like it. Not something I'm interested in. I have a pre ODB-II car to keep all those black boxes and the state out of my life.

GM does have an electric crate motor supposedly in the works, that may be interesting but I know the cost is going to be too high to get into for me.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Electric cars don't need to shift.

I see the issues with electric cars being
A.) They are weird looking (ugly as someone else also pointed out). Why make them look so weird? Just make them look like a normal car. From an aesthetics standpoint, electric cars should look good, not odd. Tesla's cars, for the most part look good. I think Tesla is doing things the right way, but the man at the helm is a douche.
B.) Energy density. Look at the average car and you probably see a car with a 12 gallon fuel tank. 12 gallons of fuel can take you a long ways. The battery pack to travel that same distance is really big. And really heavy.
C.) Related to B above....filling a 12 gallon fuel tank takes a couple minutes at most. Filling that battery pack takes hours. It's just inconvenient.

·
Premium Member
2,353 Posts
Ford made an all electric car. It is called the Focus. It looks just like any other Focus except for the badging. Unfortunately, Ford no longer makes the electric Focus, or any other Focus as of 2019

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Ford made an all electric car. It is called the Focus. It looks just like any other Focus except for the badging. Unfortunately, Ford no longer makes the electric Focus, or any other Focus as of 2019
It also wasn't a very good electric car. Poor range. Mediocre power. Expensive.

Cars are so 2018........

·
Premium Member
2,353 Posts
But it was not ugly...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very cool thoughts, thank you very much for the answers, tips and opinions. I am very pleased that you answered. Your advice prompted me to meditate, which led me to new sources that I can research and better write my work. I also wanted to ask one important question about scientific work. I heard from my classmates that there is a capstone project writing services that write this type of scientific work, for example, this edusson.com I went to their site, pretty good reviews about it and the priors of the works that they represent in the top. What do you think about this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would recommend you to check the full guide on capstone project - <a href="https://pro-papers.com/blog/what-are-the-capstone-project-ideas">https://pro-papers.com/blog/what-are-the-capstone-project-ideas</a>, which describes the true meaning and the main stages. Capstone project includes such stages as:research, event planning, experiment, intership, service learning. Also called a capstone experience, culminating project, or senior exhibition, among many other terms, a capstone project is a multifaceted assignment that serves as a culminating academic and intellectual experience for students.

·
11,039 Posts
Here is my opinion on electric cars..... They are always ugly. Why? Because the big three does not want them to sell because of their stake in the oil industry. Make a sporty looking manual shifting electric car and it will sell. Also find and watch this documentary, it will give you a lot of insight to the whole electric car issue. You can torrent it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRnUY6V2Knk
:shakehead:

1. The auto industry builds what the public wants to buy, period. There is no 100mpg carberator, there is no conspiracy. When the public decides it wants electric cars the auto industry will build them, just as they have started doing.

2. Ugly: That Fiat thing, the i3, and Leaf are definitely Eugly. The Focus and Golf look just like their ICE siblings. The Teslas are the cars to be seen in. A blanket statement that electric cars are ugly is not accurate.

3. One doesn't shift electric cars. Essentially the car either goes forward or backwards, there is no shifting through the gears, auto or otherwise.

4. Ford announced that it will make an electric version of the Mustang.

·
11,039 Posts

GM does have an electric crate motor supposedly in the works, .
It floors me that nobody has a conversion kit for the 78 thru 04 Stangs. $14k will buy a 1000 ft lb motor and 20kwh of batteries, so a kit might be possible for $19k... compare this with a coyote conversion kit (T56, control pack, gen3) plus accessory bracket, used driver side cat and driveshaft and both kits have about the same "drive away" cost.

Who would spend $19k converting foxes and sn95s to electric?
1. The guy who wants to win every single street race. (which is illegal, but I'm just saying...)
2. The guy who never wants to pay for another smog check or oil change.
3. The guy who wants his stang's weight distribution and center of gravity to be improved.
4. The guy who wants to hear his stang's radio and wants no more exhaust drone.

:)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Electric cars don't need to shift.

I see the issues with electric cars being
A.) They are weird looking (ugly as someone else also pointed out). Why make them look so weird? Just make them look like a normal car. From an aesthetics standpoint, electric cars should look good, not odd. Tesla's cars, for the most part look good. I think Tesla is doing things the right way, but the man at the helm is a douche.
B.) Energy density. Look at the average car and you probably see a car with a 12 gallon fuel tank. 12 gallons of fuel can take you a long ways. The battery pack to travel that same distance is really big. And really heavy.
C.) Related to B above....filling a 12 gallon fuel tank takes a couple minutes at most. Filling that battery pack takes hours. It's just inconvenient.
I realize electric car don;t need to shift, but I like driving a manual transmission and Chevrolet had an electric manual shifting Camaro, so why not give the public a good looking, manual shifting electric sports car with a reasonable price tag?

·
Registered
344 Posts
:shakehead:

1. The auto industry builds what the public wants to buy, period. There is no 100mpg carberator, there is no conspiracy. When the public decides it wants electric cars the auto industry will build them, just as they have started doing.

2. Ugly: That Fiat thing, the i3, and Leaf are definitely Eugly. The Focus and Golf look just like their ICE siblings. The Teslas are the cars to be seen in. A blanket statement that electric cars are ugly is not accurate.

3. One doesn't shift electric cars. Essentially the car either goes forward or backwards, there is no shifting through the gears, auto or otherwise.

4. Ford announced that it will make an electric version of the Mustang.
The auto industry does have a stake in the oil industry and who said anything about some 100mpg carburetor. I realize you don't need to shift an electric car, but I like driving a manual transmission and Chevy did build an electric manual shifting Camaro. So it can be done and give the public what they want. And as for Ford building an electric car, that's great, but there is only one place in my area to even charge an electric car and that's way out of the way at a park. So where I am located it is not feasible for people to own electric cars for every day use unless they only live within a short distance of their job and back home to charge their vehicle.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Electrics are not for everyone. That is a fact.

Current technology puts one way travel at about 30-40 miles one way for someone who can only charge at home. That's about a 75-100 miles per day situation (to ensure some reserve). Yes you can get an EV with more range between charges, but this is what I would call a bottom threshold. The buyer of this vehicle would also have to accept that the car will not be useful for long distance travel. Taking this car from say Western NY to Florida for vacation is not going to be a great idea even if you have plenty of charging stations along the way. The time to recharge is still not short enough to compete with ICE.

ICE is still far, far more convenient and cheaper to get into even with the higher operating costs. It offers easier long distance capabilities if desired. If you are running low on "range" you can just pull into any gas station and be one your way in minutes with as much more "range" as you want.

This whole idea of a Tesla truck is a complete joke to me. When I use my truck it's used to pull my camper. I can fill my 30 gallon tank and drive about 240 miles pulling close to 6,000 lbs through pretty much any terrain before I need more gas. Yes that's about 8-9 mpg towing. And when I need more gas, I pull in and fill up in under 10 minutes before getting back on the road. The Tesla truck can't touch that. How much battery capacity will be required to match that? Weight is the enemy when towing. Even the lightest batteries are still heavy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think it is worth trying a standard structure that includes an introduction, a main part and conclusions. In general, the scientific work should be very structured according to me. If you have any difficulties, you can buy informative scientific work for an example in topeduservices. Reliable guys, professionals in their field, with whom you can specify the details of writing a convincing speech, ATM and make a purchase.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What do you think about such reviews on essay writing services? - https://paidpaper.net/edubirdie-com-review/ . On the one hand they are useful. In fact, a person with experience with the service to share their experience. Tells about the positive and negative sides of the site. But on the other hand, it seems to me that such reviews can be ordered by site owners. What do you think?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Electric cars are viable today.

With the power grid- most electric cars are or will be charged at night. With a simple timer controlled charger (which all electric cars include) you set it to charge at 1am. At this time demand on the power grid is lowest, so there is plenty of capacity to charge electric cars.

Even if they were charged during the daytime, it's not like every single person is going to buy an EV tomorrow. So utilities can add capacity as needed as adoption happens.

The biggest problem with EVs right now is the battery. Battery packs are expensive, and you need one that gives the car enough range to be useful (especially when a recharge takes multiple hours). Some (but not all) can handle a level-3 fast charge (0-80% in about 10 minutes, give or take).

Also, when considering the higher purchase price one must also consider lower operating costs. An electric vehicle costs very little to operate. This is partially because electricity is MUCH cheaper than gas, but also because of maintenance- an electric car needs a lot less of it. An internal combustion engine (ICE) has hundreds or thousands of small moving parts, which must be continually lubricated. Oil must be changed. The transmission is complex. Brake pads do 100% of the stopping, so they require replacement.

Electric cars are simple. An electric motor has exactly one moving part- the rotor. The transmission is usually a simple single-ratio gearbox, keep it lubricated and it'll last for a very very long time with little or no maintenance. The battery controls and power handling systems are mostly solid-state (with the exception of a few relays and maybe some cooling fans). Some electric cars use liquid cooling systems for the battery and motor, but that's not terribly complex either. And on the braking, much of the braking is done with regenerative braking (regen), using the motor as a generator to charge the battery and convert forward speed back into usable electric energy. This takes much of the wear off the brake pads.

The end result is that an EV is overall MUCH cheaper to operate on a $/mile basis than a gasoline car. You have chosen a good topic for your capstone project!

·
Premium Member
2,353 Posts
You are going to see the cost of licensing an electric car skyrocket. Roads are built and repaired with funds generated by the tax on fuel. Since an electric car does not use gas/diesel, they do not pay their fair share of the taxes required to maintain the roads. So, soon you will find that it costs $1,500-2,000 per year just to license the electric car. Now that operating cost is not so cheap anymore, is it?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts