Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Corral Charter Member
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Tial 38mm wastegate with a .4 bar spring (5.8psi) and a Hallman pro series boost controller.

I have a line running from the compressor housing to the boost source input of the boost controller, a line from the output of the controller to the side port of the wastegate and the top of the wastegate is open. This is the way the Hallman instructions say to hook it up.

No matter how much I turn the controller knob I only get 6psi of boost.

The Tial instructions say to run a line from the compressor housing and tee it with one line going to the controller and one going to the side port of the wastegate and a line going from the top of the wastegate to the output of the controller.

Should I try this or does anybody have any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
The Tial instructions say to run a line from the compressor housing and tee it with one line going to the controller and one going to the side port of the wastegate and a line going from the top of the wastegate to the output of the controller.

This is correct

·
Registered
401 Posts
That doesn't sound right. If both the top and bottom lines are tied together then you are going to maintain the same pressure in both chambers. This is how it goes.

If you are using a manual boost controller then the quick and easy way is run a line from before the TB and a boost source (compressor housing) to the bottom line of the WG. You should be able to run up to 2x spring pressure.

If you are using an electronic boost controller run the boost ref line from the compressor to the bottom. Then Another line from a boost source but not tee'd into the other line to the solenoid of the boost controller and then to the top nipple of the WG. You want it on the NO (normally open) port and COM port of the valve. When the controller is either not powered up or broken it will run spring pressure. How it works is it using PWM to pressurize the top chamber of the WG to get to a specific boost target up to 2x spring pressure. So if the top and bottom chambers are equal pressure you will have 2x spring pressure for boost. It's the same as if you had nothing hooked up to the WG.

I hope that gives you an understanding of how and why it works. I don't know a why to run a MBC and run booth lines as a manual works opposite of an electronic controller and would kept the top chamber from receiving pressure until the spring tension was overcome in the controller and you would be stuck running spring pressure for boost.

·
Corral Charter Member
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured it out.

I feel pretty stupid but I wasn't turning the knob on the MBC far enough. For some reason it took about 5 turns before it did anything.

I have the boost set to 10psi and it feels pretty good! :cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts