Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned a 2003 Mustang GT for 14 years. Ten of those years I had an off-road H pipe setup. Anybody with an off- road setup knows about the gas fumes.

So for 10 years I dealt with the gas fumes for a sexy sounding car. And then I was diagnosed with a blood cancer. Blood cancers are directly related to Benzene exposure AKA gas fumes. I'm under the age of 40.

Maybe my blood cancer has nothing to do with gas fumes but maybe it does. And because of that it is my responsibility to warn people who may be contemplating the same. I do not have a family history of blood cancers. So, yes, benzene exposure is at the top of my list.

This is not a post to scare you... but to remind you of the realities that may elude you.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Benzene is in all sorts of products we come into contact with daily but yes, you are correct about causing blood cancers and could very well be the cause for yours. Good luck with your fight.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I pray you recover. Were you in Vietnam? (In country during agent orange). Exposed to nuclear reactors or weopons? Do you smoke cigarettes?

My dad had blood cancer and never owned a mustang.

Wish you well.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Yes it is. Sometimes I wonder if I myself have sold my soul myself to go fast. But not to the devil. I hope and pray that things will come around.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It sucks if the OP does have blood cancer.
It seems like the OP was born after 1977. That would help to explain the MASSIVE misinformation they were lead to believe.

You see, there is a huge secret that cars didn't always have cats. And that cars used to emit MEGA MORE pollutants. And, gee, all of those Americans have had their average life-span increase.

Plus, a 2002 Stang even without cats likely has less pollutants from it's tail pipes than a Fox Stang with cats.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Prayer for you OP. I used to spray alot of electric motor cleaner in the basement fooling with R/C cars for years long before I was old enough to drive. By the way doesn't it take a car with cats minutes to warm the cat enough to filter benzine?

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Hope you get over this nasty disease (cancer).

As I found out, cancer isn't always directly related to anything. It can be hereditary. It can be related to work type stuff. It can be related to this, that, and the other. There are thousands of doctors-and good ones-that will give thousands of causes of cancer, and each and every one of those is a theory. In other words, no one knows what actually causes it. Once we know for sure, maybe that'll put us closer to prevention and hopefully a cure.

I never used any tobacco, though all of my coworkers do and have no consideration for those of us who don't use any. Similarly, my grandmother was diagnosed with late stage lung cancer at age 72. She never once smoked a cigarette. But grandpa-different story. He was never seen without a cigarette; and I was always under the impression that the secondhand is what could have potentially caused her sickness-and ultimately death. I remember quite well watching her lay in a bed drowning in her own blood from the effects of cancer inside her lungs. Every short breath. Occasionally she'd cough and it was a brownish reddish liquid that came up-which was a mix of blood and lung tissue. I still remember her coughing up a big wad of her lung in a towel, it was like a soft brownish colored mass mixed in with a bloody mess. I want to say she went peacefully but she didn't. She suffered the last 2 years of life, couldn't breath very well, no energy, didn't much get out of bed because she'd get out of breath just sitting up for the most part. There were "good" days when she'd get up and walk 2 steps to the bathroom to cough up a bunch of junk but those were about as good as it got from my memory.

Back to cancer. My girlfriend's mother has a rare type of non-hodgkins Lymphoma. Supposedly less than 2% of lymphoma patients get this type. She's had 2 chemo treatments and amazingly she is up moving around just hours after treatment, Sunday after church she was moving a 300lb file cabinet by herself. Amazing woman for sure. She is going for the cure. She'll have several rounds of chemo and then they'll go in with the stem cell treatments. They're hoping to have her back to normal by September of 2017. Official diagnosis was in September of 2016. If this goes as planned, it will be nothing short of amazing. But during her 2nd treatment, I was there to visit and she said she felt a blanket of prayer over her. But the ironic thing about it is that her mother (girlfriend's grandmother) has done everything imaginable to get cancer...lived in a house made with asbestos, made her own bullets and fishing lures out of lead, smoked cigarettes from age 9 until 62, etc. But never got anything but parkinson's which she will have until she goes home.

·
11,039 Posts
Parents should know that children are particularly susceptible to respiratory pathogens. Think twice about dumping smog equipment if you have kids.

(p.s. tampering with smog equipment is a $10k fine.)

·
Registered
179 Posts
It sucks if the OP does have blood cancer.
It seems like the OP was born after 1977. That would help to explain the MASSIVE misinformation they were lead to believe.

You see, there is a huge secret that cars didn't always have cats. And that cars used to emit MEGA MORE pollutants. And, gee, all of those Americans have had their average life-span increase.

Plus, a 2002 Stang even without cats likely has less pollutants from it's tail pipes than a Fox Stang with cats.
And not to mention tetraethyl lead used in high quantities in the gas. Oil pans would get a thick layer in the bottom. The exhaust would have this stale smell to it. Don't forget road draft tubes too spewing out all that crap you would have to drive through and breath

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wonder about all the guys spending theirs days/weeks at the track as well. I have a 88 GT with no cats. Definitely smell fumes. You have me on notice now. thanks for the topic. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
If gas fumes can kill you....I should have died many years ago. Lol

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Sorry to hear about someone dealing with cancer.

That aside, I think you are drawing a direct link between things that may or may not be related. A co-worker of mine is doing chemo right now for throat cancer.

Now you might assume he smoked. Nope. Never smoked a day in his life. Just because a person might be exposed to one possible cause of a cancer doesn't mean that was the cause. Contributing factor, perhaps. If smelly exhaust directly caused blood cancer, entire generations would have blood cancer.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
My mother is a stage 4 colon cancer survivor. I was deployed to Iraq in the Marines back in 06’ when she got diagnosed. They gave her 1-3 months to live. She didn’t tell me any of this until 5 months later when I got home from Iraq. She is 14 years cancer free. The Dr’s gave her a 10% chance of beating it. My mom is the strongest/toughest person I know. Which I think is saying a lot considering I met some pretty bad dudes in my 6 years being a 0331 Heavy Machine Gunner in the USMC. Point is, always fight and never give up!!!

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
and an update to the GF's mom.

Stem cell treatment came & went. Now keep in mind that AITL (the type lymphoma that she has) doesn't just go away, it comes, it goes, comes back, goes, comes back...eventually kills you. There is no cure, there is no cut & dried treatment other than treating it the best that doctors know how to. The stem cell treatment was tough on her body. She died during the treatment and was revived. When she awoke, she said to all of us in a weak voice "it's so beautiful" (speaking of heaven). That was in June/July 2018. The GF and I planned a road trip in Sept to go to the beach for some much needed R&R and her mom & dad wanted to go with. I wasn't fond of it but being that she's fighting cancer, I certainly didn't throw a fit about it. I didn't think she'd make it back...and honestly neither did she, or the GF, or her dad. Very weak. But today 3/29 she is 6 months cancer free. All of the PET scans don't show any signs. Now that doesn't mean it won't come back (usually does) but it is a miracle that she isn't gone. I hope this is a motivational post for those who are fighting it; don't give up. Actually the GF and her parents took off for a road trip for the weekend and they're all doing fine, like you'd never know that they have any problem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts