Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that the twin disc clutch are awesome with a very soft pedal, engage very smooth and they hold great, but I was wondering in a drag racing application, does it allow you to shift just as fast as with a single disc clutch? I don't understand exactly how a twin disc releases etc. so I thought I'd ask you guys who might have used a twin disc. Give me any pros or cons about them. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I've power shifted mine a handful of times successfully, but, not at the track on stickies after a burnout.
At the track I've lift shifted as fast as "I" can without issue... fast enough that you hear the crunch and the slicks scratch.
I'm running the McLeod RST, with McLeod steel flywheel... aluminum quadrant, firewall adjuster, firewall reinforcing, Ford cable.

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've power shifted mine a handful of times successfully, but, not at the track on stickies after a burnout.
At the track I've lift shifted as fast as "I" can without issue... fast enough that you hear the crunch and the slicks scratch.
I'm running the McLeod RST, with McLeod steel flywheel... aluminum quadrant, firewall adjuster, firewall reinforcing, Ford cable.
That is the same clutch I was looking at for a 550 @the flywheel 363. How soft is the pedal compared to stock?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
cannot say, had a Hayes ceramic puck style in it before, it is certainly lighter than that... Dad's 5.0 has a CF dual friction, it is noticeably lighter than that... my 2013 Jeep wrangler is stock in regards to engine/trans/clutch and it's comparable, McLeod a little heavier, but in no way heavy if that makes sense. ... so, pretty light... but the Jeep is Hydro, so the McLeod with cable and whatnot has wayyyy more feel.
My wife drives the Jeep often, the Mustang rarely... never mentions the clutch being "hard" like she did when the Hayes was in it.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
oh, the McLeod is much easier to modulate than the stock Jeep setup too... lots of feel, decent travel in the slip/bite zone... you will like it.

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With the twin disc, I assume you have to have a adjustable pivot ball? Is it hard to know how to set the pivot ball depth to get the correct release etc. and not compress the diaphram too far?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts