Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the car brand new and havealways been putting 91 fuel in. Will the car not have as good of pickup with 87 or 89 or will less octane fuel hurt my new engine, need some infoplease thanks.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
You *should* be able to run with the lowest rating your owner's manual states...I'm not sure what that is for a GT, (think it's 87?)....otherwise you are wasting your money unless you have bumped up the timing or whatever...

·
Registered
285 Posts
02WhiteGT said:
I just bought the car brand new and havealways been putting 91 fuel in. Will the car not have as good of pickup with 87 or 89 or will less octane fuel hurt my new engine, need some infoplease thanks.
You should only run 87 unless you install a Timing Adjuster or Supercharger. 87 is the cleanest and fasterest buring gas and will give more power than 93+. The lower the octane the better.

·
Registered
440 Posts
With a stock 02 GT, 87 is the only gas you need to put in your car. You won't see any improvements from higher octane gas unless your engine has been modified to need it, like if you increase the timing at some point or supercharge it.

The good thing is...the cheap stuff IS the good stuff!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts