Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2002 Gt and thats when the nightmares began... The problem with the car is that is shutting off... first time, was on the HWY doing 60mph that scared the **** out of me (remember no brakes or power steering) it cought me off gard did not know what the **** happen :eek: , took the car to the dealer and they could not duplicate the problem:confused: ...whatever I called FORD raised hell and they basically told me go "screw yourself" we can not do anything because the dealer could not see anything bad with the car.. So yesterday I made a right turn and the car stalled and I almost crash against a bunch of kids playing on the sidewalk thank God I could start the car right up

I called the dealer and they told me that since I have and X-pipe they wont honor the warranty and I was like WTF the problem was there before the Xpipe ..... So whatever I'm going to put the stock pipe on and take it.

So heres my question What can I do? I mean I do not trust this car and I know that sooner or later something bad is going to happen... have any of you guys experience something like this before..

thank you very much

JM

·
Registered
113 Posts
Dude, that sounds real wack. I just turned 7,000 miles of my '02 GT with zero problems. Best car I have ever owned. Have the dealer check for error codes in the computer and have them do a re-flash. Something is wrong. If one dealer strokes you, go to another one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 02 GT did the same thing one time. I took it to the ford Dealer, they tightened my battery cables, then said it was fine..... hasen't done it since, but I'm not too sure it was a lose battery cable.....

·
Registered
545 Posts
My 01 Cobra did stalled once while making a U-turn. It had less than 50 miles, never did it again. Maybe the computer was still learning.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Your car died at 60MPH ??? Were you coasting or under power. I find it hard to believe the car would stall while under power.

Does your car have the idle drop too low often ? Sounds like a simple problem like idle speed or a reflash to me. I would hardly say you are having a nightmarish time with the car just because of this.

Do you have MIL Eliminators with your O/R pipe ? Do you have a K&N on the car ? Did you reset the computer when you installed the X-Pipe ?

Definitely remove the O/R pipe before taking it back in

We need more info.

Matt

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ok first of all thank you very much for ur replies

PC Doctor

Your car died at 60MPH ??? Were you coasting or under power. I find it hard to believe the car would stall while under power
I was doing +/- 60mph in 5 gear, saw the traffic ahead of me so I slowed down going from 5 to 4 gear the car stalled. believe or not that's what happened.

Does your car have the idle drop too low often ? Sounds like a simple problem like idle speed or a reflash to me. I would hardly say you are having a nightmarish time with the car just because of this
They reflash the computer the first time I took it in and no my idle is fine Can I reflash the computer myself?. Nightmares yes how would u feel having a car that could cause an accident at any time?

Do you have MIL Eliminators with your O/R pipe ? Do you have a K&N on the car ? Did you reset the computer when you installed the X-Pipe ?
I have the Dallas MIL with my X-pipe, no K&N filter yet. Yes I left it for like 3 hours reseting I know you only need like 30 minutes

Definitely remove the O/R pipe before taking it back in
Thanks the service advisor is my friend and told me so. thanks anyways

alright guys keep on with the replies maybe we could get somewhere here

thank you all

jm

·
Registered
77 Posts
JamGTStang said:

I was doing +/- 60mph in 5 gear, saw the traffic ahead of me so I slowed down going from 5 to 4 gear the car stalled. believe or not that's what happened.
I believe you 100% because that is what my 00 did the same thing (twice). I took it to Ford (100% stock) they claimed it was fine:confused. I tore a HUGE strip out of everyone at that dealership (including the service manager). I went so far as to tell them I wanted it in writing so that when it happenned a 3rd time (if I got in an accident) I could sue them. I called Ford customer relations (in Canada) the log my complaint.... they then ran a search on my VIN# sure enough, there is a known issue :mad:. I was FURIOUS to say the least. I called the dealership tore a strip out of them again, I even told them about the service advisory (customer relations didn't want to give me an advisory#). 30 Mins later the Service manager calls telling me how HE talked to someone at team mustang, and how HE found out there was an issue... I wasn't impressed. It took ALOT of jumping up and down, and screaming and holering on my behalf, but they got it fixed. (1 year, and the problem has not re-occured). All they had to do was flash my ECM, the iddle has been a little jumpy when I use the defrog in the front, but other then that it has been fine.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I didn't mean to say I did not believe you. I meant did it die while in between shifting gears? Like when the revs drop between gear shifts on the way down. That is very possible.

I think snowstang00 is on the culprit. Try and get the dealer to reflash your ECM ... that sounds like a good place to start.

Matt

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Matt thank you very much question for U

Do you think leaving my o/r xpipe on and reflashing my ECM would create a problem later on? I mean when u reflash something Ecm, computer the computer will have to relearn everything right? Will that affect the overall performance of the car or not... Matt thank you for your patience

Snowstang00 thank you very much :joy: u the man

·
Registered
236 Posts
I think you would be fine either way. If you can get them to reflash for you with your current setup , then that would be fine. If they are going to cry about your exhaust though , you may not have a choice. Since this problem was happening before your exhaust , I think a reflash with the car back to stock would be ok too. Most cars after adding exhaust do not require a reflash.

I guess what I am saying is either way would be fine , so just do it the easiest way that Ford will let you.

Matt

·
Registered
14 Posts
The exact same thing happened to my 2000 GT before I got rid of it. It happened between 5 - 10 times. I brought it in 4 times for the same thing, every time they replaced the IAC valve for no reason. I told them that was not the problem but I was ignored. It would happen when trying to slow down right? RPMS would start floating then the engine would die. A friend of mine said he knew a guy who works in the Ford service dept. and they knew of the problem. He said it was a problem in the Chip program but that they were not releasing a new chip with the fix for what ever reason. I guess they felt that too few of them were having problems to release a fix. Tell that to the person that gets killed because their car turned off when they were turning across traffic. I don't know if that is true or not, but I wouldn't put it past them. Anyway, I was going to go lemon law on it, don't even get me started on how I was treated at Captial Ford, but I ended up going back to CrossRoads Ford and trading it in on a 01 Vert. I could have gone Lemon Law but it is a long process and I didn't want to put up with it. Instead I waited until I had positive equity in the car and got rid of it. Good luck with what ever you do, but if it were me I would try and trade it in. I never trusted my old mustang, every time I slowed down I wondered if this was going to be the time it shut off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts