Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
There's a difference between a roll bar and a "cage", but one similarity is none of them are backseat-kid-friendly.

Here's a pic of my Autopower 4-pt bolt-in in my 92 coupe afrer installation and before the harnesses were reinstalled.

As with many other topics you've brought up, the search function will add immesurably to the information available to you.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Here's a shot of where it bolts to the rear wheelwell, taken during install. You can see the notch I had to cut in the trim panel, invisible when the seat cushion is reinstalled.

Unfortunatly the only other picture I have of it as installed, the harness bar obscures where the rear bar goes past the seat just the same as the other one I posted above. I was surprised that there was VERY little distortion of the rear seat cushion required to fit it past the roll bar, at least in my car's case.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
IMOHO, there is no such thing as kid-safe rollcage. Those two words dont belong together back seat and cage...
There is no way I was going to put my kids' head anywhere near a steel bar. I removed my rear seat the same time I did the cage, and never put it back in.

Install photos here:
http://www.dariusrudis.com/mustang/rollcage

·
Registered
214 Posts
I missed the part about kid friendly, no such thing. The padding on the bars is so when your helmet hits it doesnt scuff the helmet, does not help much with an 11 years noggin.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts

I missed the KID thing too......

You can get an Autopower 4-point cage with bolt in diagonal brace, and bolt in harness bar. With those two bars out, it really keeps the cabin "open" for when you need it. My car is a two seater, so all my bars are welded in. :)

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
2k2GT said:

I missed the KID thing too......

You can get an Autopower 4-point cage with bolt in diagonal brace, and bolt in harness bar. With those two bars out, it really keeps the cabin "open" for when you need it. My car is a two seater, so all my bars are welded in. :)
Don't mean to highjack your thread.......but I have the autopower 4 point race bar with the bolt on diagonal option, I wanted to see if you had a pic of the rear side bar install just below the side windows. How did you notch out the panel? I installed my bar tonight and well needless to say I really messed up the left side quarter. BTW my bar is welded.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
LS1KILLR said:
Don't mean to highjack your thread.......but I have the autopower 4 point race bar with the bolt on diagonal option, I wanted to see if you had a pic of the rear side bar install just below the side windows. How did you notch out the panel? I installed my bar tonight and well needless to say I really messed up the left side quarter. BTW my bar is welded.
I have a pic on my computer at home(im at work), I'll post up what it looks like. Not bragging, but I think I did a GREAT job seeing as how I've never put a cage in ANYTHING.

A rundown of what I did, was to mount the complete cage in the car minus the rear interior panels. I marked all the holes and drilled them and mounted the bar.

I came back later and removed the rear supports(left the passenger side ON/MOUNTED. I installed the rear plastic panel on the driver side, found some PVC pipe that slipped over the mount on the main hoop, and drew a circle where the PVC pipe was contacting on the plastic panel. I got it REAL close....soo close that you could not fit a pinky finger in/around the hole with the bar in it.

It's a frustrating and nerve racking thing to do, but I was really happy with my results.

Like I said earlier, I find that pic and post it up when I get home.

·
Registered
379 Posts
If you could buy a 6 pt road race cage kit, made for a Mustang would people be interested? No one really makes a good road race cage kit it seems.
I'm talking about a DOM kit that will meet SCCA spec for ITE and not stop at the dash. You would have to weld it up your self, so it will not be a bolt in Autopower style kit.
Let me know if people are interested. I'm trying to work out a deal with a company to produce a kit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts