Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Curious if a MAF made for a 96-98 GT was put on a 99-02 GT if it would cause the car to lose HP EVEN IF the car was tuned 12:1 A/F with the MAF on the car. Debating if I want to take off my Pro-M 77mm and put on my stocker when I get ready to re-dyno tune my car as I found out the MAF was programmed for a 97 GT when I bought it.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you have to plug in all those numbers from the calibration sheet into an aftermarket chip for it to make a difference?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Dont do it. Stock MAF is good for at least 400rwhp.

·
Registered
290 Posts
i wonder if an maf can lose power too. i installed a densecharger, and the pro m 87mm on my 02 and swear i didnt feel a difference at all. i hear wonder stories about the densecharger, but im not one of them. i wonder if its the pro m's fault though.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I just installed a C&L 80mm MAF and MAF-TB Densecharger pipe and I could definately feel a difference in the mid-range. Someone just recently posted that they gained 8 RWHP with just the C&L on their GT.

·
Registered
290 Posts
did you cut the flanged part off the densecharger to do that?
how come you didnt put it in the fenderwell?
since you did it that way, is there a reason why you didnt just use the c&l kit?
thanx

any idle quirks?
did you leave the maf screen in there?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've seemed to lose a lot of low-end too. MAC CAI (modified) for a C&L MAF, 70mm TB.

Car also went slower. By like 3-4 tenths.

·
Registered
412 Posts
hed_strosity said:
did you cut the flanged part off the densecharger to do that?
how come you didnt put it in the fenderwell?
since you did it that way, is there a reason why you didnt just use the c&l kit?
thanx

any idle quirks?
did you leave the maf screen in there?
I didn't have to cut anything off the Densecharger. I just ordered the MAF-to-TB pipe for $50 shipped from Densecharger. It just replaces the stock tubing. No mods required. It is connected to the C&L 80mm 4.6 MAF kit so its supposed to sit in the engine bay like that. I did not use the screen because I have not found out a way to put it back in there, but my MPG has stayed the same as stock. I have some minor idle quirks, but nothing big. Most of the time it sits pefect, but the RPMs dip a bit with the A/C on. This is probably because of the underdrive pulleys. This is a similar setup that Mustang92 used to run 12s in his n/a GT.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've yet to see a modular stang idle properly with A/C on. Anyone found a way to fix this? My fix will definitely work, A/C :evil:

Lon

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
rancid said:
Hey guys,

Curious if a MAF made for a 96-98 GT was put on a 99-02 GT if it would cause the car to lose HP EVEN IF the car was tuned 12:1 A/F with the MAF on the car. Debating if I want to take off my Pro-M 77mm and put on my stocker when I get ready to re-dyno tune my car as I found out the MAF was programmed for a 97 GT when I bought it.
I don't see how an aftermarket MAF can add anything either, as long as the one you have is capable of measuring the air you are moving thru it. If you are a tad rich, and the aftermarket one leans you out a little, you might see an increase, but I don't understand how they can be considered a performance mod.

There are easier ways to lean out a little. Actually I suspect most NA cars near stock HP levels that report cat back improvements are just seeing a little leaning out. MHO

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Re: Re: Can a MAF cause you to lose HP?

Ralph Greene said:

I don't see how an aftermarket MAF can add anything either, as long as the one you have is capable of measuring the air you are moving thru it. If you are a tad rich, and the aftermarket one leans you out a little, you might see an increase, but I don't understand how they can be considered a performance mod.

There are easier ways to lean out a little. Actually I suspect most NA cars near stock HP levels that report cat back improvements are just seeing a little leaning out. MHO
Oh, thank you so much for this post!

Ed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts