Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well, you could B-cam and B-done.......

In all seriousness though, if you are buying a new cam you are within $50-75 of a custom cam. And if that's too much and would take too much away from your kids racing program, maybe the build isn't worth it. There are places to save a few bucks, but the cam isn't the best place to skimp. Nobody is saying run Jessel's and a solid roller or a stroker. But you gotta do what you're comfy with.

In your shoes, with a XE274 in my hands already, I'd run that.
Let me explain a little further.. an extra $100 would not take away from my daughter. As I’m entering my mid 40’s now and I’ve played with these cars since the 90’s and owned over 40 of them, my priorities and tastes have a changed. I’m no longer concerned about having things like the custom cam or a Holley intake so that the engine is 100 percent. I’d rather have the (becoming) rare 93 cobra intake and a cam that drives nice and has good performance... I’d rather spend my money on things (like I have been) oem 18 Roush wheels, Recaro seats and a Momo steering wheel... if I want more performance I’ll slap an s trim on it....
I appreciate all the help and feedback.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
That's cool. Like I said you gotta do what's right and makes sense for you. I have a car i like but it's been all work and no driving for the 3+ years I've had it. I'm feeling a little disdain for it. Also in my 40's, albeit late 40's. And I kinda don't want to work on it anymore. I'm kicking around selling it and buying something I can just get in and drive. That doesn't need paint or to have me chase a leak some place. In the end you gotta build/buy/have what makes you happy and gives the return on your investment you want.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Put a b cam in it and use your 1.72 rockers. As stated earlier with that intake you'll be tapped out by 5800

·
Registered
31 Posts
Dead set on 1.72s? May be able to trade someone straight up for some 1.6s and throw in the comp you have. I run the xe274hr in my car and it will cruise at 1200 rpm all day and not buck around. The old lunati I had was uncomfortable to drive below 2k. Kicked around like a mule. If you want to cruise comfortable to cars and coffee its tough to beat one of those comp cams. Especially if you are using an untuned/unchipped A9l.

·
Registered
221 Posts
That's cool. Like I said you gotta do what's right and makes sense for you. I have a car i like but it's been all work and no driving for the 3+ years I've had it. I'm feeling a little disdain for it. Also in my 40's, albeit late 40's. And I kinda don't want to work on it anymore. I'm kicking around selling it and buying something I can just get in and drive. That doesn't need paint or to have me chase a leak some place. In the end you gotta build/buy/have what makes you happy and gives the return on your investment you want.
I wish I was in my 40's again... I was divorced at 39 and my 40's were alot of fun.. At 66 taking my dog for walk is a good time now...LOL

·
USAF retired
9,358 Posts
So, with awesome flowing heads, intake and exhaust, I don't even need to run a cam? Lol.
I am sure that you make a legitimate point, to a degree. There is point of diminishing returns. Let alone how much power is desired and where you want the power in the rpm range to be.
I have never heard someone say, "lets put some good heads, exhasut and intake on this build and then see how small of a cam we can run."
In my case the stock cam was the only thing that would clear with the 86GT shortblock, so I used it. I know it's not ideal, but it works pretty well.

There's a few guys doing good things with a stock roller cam.
Who is committed to running a stock roller cam? | Ford Mustang Forums (corral.net)

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Look at how smooooooth and flat that torque curve is. And of course the hp is nice and smooth too. Probably drove real nice.

Is that combo broke down in the stock cam thread or some place else?

·
Old timer
6,171 Posts
Back from the NMRA event and....

.... because of the core availability and other issues.... we'll no longer offer "catalog" camshafts...

Custom grinds in the various steel alloys only...

Reactions: FlamedHatch

·
Registered
122 Posts
XE274 will work just fine and you already have it. It is the cheapest solution.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I run the XE274 cam with 1.6's, ported stock heads, and ported cobra intake in my CJ5 with 4.27's and 35" tires. Its a fun little trail rig with real good street manners and good low end torque. I also ran a similar setup to yours in a mustang back in the 90's with an E cam and 1.7's. the cobra lower was hand ported, the upper extrude honed. I liked it better and it made more torque across the curve than the same motor with a B cam. Made a fun driver and part time road course car.

·
USAF retired
9,358 Posts
21 - 35 of 35 Posts