Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After stepping away from the hobby for almost 8 years to focus on my daughters racing career, I’m back with a new project. Let me first say I know Ed Curtis is the way to make the car “optimal”, but looking for maybe an OTS cam to save a few bucks, although I’m not ruling out FTI completely, as I’ve used Ed before and was more than satisfied. Also, as I’m getting older I find myself more celebrating the history and heritage of these cars as to why I’ve chosen some of the parts I have. So here’s the combo:
Intake-OEM 93 cobra ported with 80mm accufab.
Heads-ported twisted wedge with 1.72 rockers
Motor-DSS 306 10.1-1 compression
Exhaust- Flowtech 1- 5/8 longtubes with 3” full exhaust out the back.
car is number 1 a driver. Has 03 cobra IRS in the back with 3:55’s. I have more interest in cars and coffee than drag strip but want a fun driver to keep up. I’ve always favored low and midrange than high rpm stuff. Anyway I have a compxe 274hr to use but was liking the Lunati voodoo 262/270 camshaft. Anyway I would like to get some thoughts and maybe Ed will chime in..

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Unless you are buying a letter cam, Trickflow, Summit or used cam, almost any other cam will be in the same ball park as a cam from Ed matched to the combo.

·
Registered
651 Posts
The Comp cam is quite a bit of lift for 1.7s. Hope your springs are up to it. I have no info on the Voodoo cam personally but with that combo should be lots of results out there for a good setup.

·
USAF retired
9,358 Posts
Unless you are buying a letter cam, Trickflow, Summit or used cam, almost any other cam will be in the same ball park as a cam from Ed matched to the combo.
Ball parks are pretty big. You're not really saving much with an OTS cam unless you buy used. Price difference last time I looked was under $50.

Rule of thumb is the better heads, intake and exhaust you have, the smaller cam you can run.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ball parks are pretty big. You're not really saving much with an OTS cam unless you buy used. Price difference last time I looked was under $50.

Rule of thumb is the better heads, intake and exhaust you have, the smaller cam you can run.
The lunati is 266 and when I checked Ed’s page it’s be about $100 difference. Believe for what I spend on my daughter, $100 is $100 I can use. The lunati is 211/219 @.050 and it’s .541-.549 with 1.6’s.... I think with the 1.72’s it’d work pretty well. I wanna add that the car was owned by me in ‘07 but sat in pieces since 2010 so I have a lot to replace on it.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
I absolutely loved my Lunati 51014 cam when I had a 306. Made great power, just enough lope to know it's there and it was easy on the valvetrain. Plus it went 10.5x at around 126-127 on 8 psi from an Eaton M112. Same heads as you. 1.6 rockers.

Reactions: Quik5oh

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I absolutely loved my Lunati 51014 cam when I had a 306. Made great power, just enough lope to know it's there and it was easy on the valvetrain. Plus it went 10.5x at around 126-127 on 8 psi from an Eaton M112. Same heads as you. 1.6 rockers.
Awesome. I’ll keep an eye out for one. One last note, the car was turboed and has an FTI cam/spring kit already.. I just didn’t think a turbo cam would be good N/A

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
So, with awesome flowing heads, intake and exhaust, I don't even need to run a cam? Lol.
I am sure that you make a legitimate point, to a degree. There is point of diminishing returns. Let alone how much power is desired and where you want the power in the rpm range to be.
I have never heard someone say, "lets put some good heads, exhasut and intake on this build and then see how small of a cam we can run."

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since you seem to want to save money. Run the XE274, sell the Cobra intake, buy a used Holley Systemax II intake and run that.
I appreciate the advice but I’m not interested in another intake...

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
His reply made perfect sense just go reference a stock LS or Hemi engine.

So, with awesome flowing heads, intake and exhaust, I don't even need to run a cam? Lol.
I am sure that you make a legitimate point, to a degree. There is point of diminishing returns. Let alone how much power is desired and where you want the power in the rpm range to be.
I have never heard someone say, "lets put some good heads, exhasut and intake on this build and then see how small of a cam we can run."

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
His reply made perfect sense just go reference a stock LS or Hemi engine.
When someone builds an LS or Hemi engine, do they put a smaller cam than stock in it?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm running an XE274 w 1.7 rockers and like it a lot. Basically a stock cam w .100 more lift.

·
Registered
1985 Mustang GT
234 Posts
This seems pointless. If you aren’t ruling out the possibility of a custom cam in the first place, why not just do it? Not the part to “save money” on. It’s only the heart of the build right? What’s the hold up on the intake?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This seems pointless. If you aren’t ruling out the possibility of a custom cam in the first place, why not just do it? Not the part to “save money” on. It’s only the heart of the build right? What’s the hold up on the intake?
It’s not pointless... the intake I want because I like old school OEM parts.. I was looking for recommendations on a cam I could maybe find used and that will work with the 1.72 rockers, if they were 1.6 I’d use what I have... I spend well over 50k a year on my daughters racing program so if I choose to want to save myself a little money on a foxbody that will never see a drag strip then so be it... I’ve used Ed’s stuff before but Back then I was wanting to extract everything out of the combo. Now I’m older and I couldn’t care less. The engine is in pieces so I thought I’d pick some brains while it’s being put back together

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
They're is no need to explain yourself to anyone. You have to do what you think is right.

Just about everytime someone asks for build advice here, it ends up being a big dollar stroker engine lol.

People have different needs and budgets. 👍

Reactions: blu88vert

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They're is no need to explain yourself to anyone. You have to do what you think is right.

Just about everytime someone asks for build advice here, it ends up being a big dollar stroker engine lol.

People have different needs and budgets. 👍
I figured... this isn’t my first rodeo. Lol.. but I knew it would end up like this

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Well, you could B-cam and B-done.......

In all seriousness though, if you are buying a new cam you are within $50-75 of a custom cam. And if that's too much and would take too much away from your kids racing program, maybe the build isn't worth it. There are places to save a few bucks, but the cam isn't the best place to skimp. Nobody is saying run Jessel's and a solid roller or a stroker. But you gotta do what you're comfy with.

In your shoes, with a XE274 in my hands already, I'd run that.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts