Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently, my 1991 Mustang has -1.3 degrees camber and 4 degrees caster. It handles well and drives well on most freeway surfaces. I currently have very good front end grip. However, most of the hard tire wear is still happening on the outter half of the front tires. I have adjusted air pressures up and down and seem to have found the sweet spot there.

This is NOT a race car. Merely a bad ass 85% street driving car that spends the other 15% doing autocrossing and occassional open track fun days.

Is -1.5 deg camber going to help get the hard wear closer to the center of the tire, or at least not favoring the outer half of the tire?

Car currently has the entire Maximum Motorsport Max Grip Box (K-member, 3/4" forward arms, coilovers, torque arm, etc)

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Want opinions before I start moving stuff around.

Thanks,
Brandon
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
27,657 Posts
1.5 will move the wear, but IMHO you shouldn't need that much. What's your toe setting?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
529 Posts
I agree with above. With your mods you shouldn't need that much camber on the street to keep the tires from wearing like you say if all is as you say it is.
Toe should as close to "0" as possible, although I would keep it just this side of toe in for the street.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Toe is right about zero. Thinking -1.50 might help save the outer edges of front rubber from the heaviest of wear, however, I am not complaining at all about the amount of front end grip. Just trying to fine to for autocross and track events this summer to get the most out of my tires and see if there is a bit more left in the car without going full "race car" with the thing.

Anymore input or suggestions? Thanks for what I have already received.

Brandon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,321 Posts
As long as toe is set properly, I don't see any problem going with even more negative camber than that. I've been running -2 or greater on my Subaru (also a MacP strut setup with similar caster numbers) for as long as I can remember. With toe set to 0 my tire wear is just fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
I run -2 on my Corolla which is my street/auto-x/HPDE car and I get nice, even treadwear with that setting. I realize these are totally different cars, but they are both McPhereson strut cars and the Corolla is a bit front heavy being FWD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
I run -2.6 on the fox. When I took the tires off the inner 2" and outer 2" were worn with like 60% tread left in the middle. Those tires went to probably 10-12 lapping days though.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top