Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any benefit to running both? Going to start on my cage in a week or so.. just trying to get some input. Basically wondering if SFC will help even with a well designed cage.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I would think that regular under the car weld on's would help, but since you're, what reads as "custom cage", a set of through the floor subframes would give your cage a great foundation to build from.

I'm no expert in cage design, but the above seems to make sense(in my head).

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Yeah I was thinking threw floor sfc would be good.
If you run competitively or think you might, going through the floor will make the car illegal for many racing classes, including NASA's CMC. (That's what pushed me over the edge and permanently into AI.)

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont plan to now but I am building the cage so if I ever wanted to I could. 1 3/4 .120 DOM and nascar style door bars etc building it to nasa specs. The main thing I am wondering is if they are needed after a full cage. Ive done some cage stuff before but it was all off road racing stuff never anything like this.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I dont plan to now but I am building the cage so if I ever wanted to I could. 1 3/4 .120 DOM and nascar style door bars etc building it to nasa specs. The main thing I am wondering is if they are needed after a full cage. Ive done some cage stuff before but it was all off road racing stuff never anything like this.
In that case I'd opt for the cheaper bottom-mount subframe connectors, welded in. These are legal for CMC (pretty sure they are, but check the rules -- I haven't read them for a couple of years.) If you cut the floor for subframe connectors, the tub will NOT be legal for CMC.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Subscribing.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Learn this. Instead of wasting bandwidth with an empty post, just click the "thread tools" drop down at the top of the page and click "subscribe". :shakehead
:blam:

I'll do what I want. Already knew about that little trick, but thanks for sharing.

By the way, thanks for wasting bandwith by not PMing me with that little tidbit.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol.

I have decided just to do the standard sub frame connectors. Going to start the cage in a few weeks currently doing one on my friends blazer.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
lol.

I have decided just to do the standard sub frame connectors. Going to start the cage in a few weeks currently doing one on my friends blazer.
IMHO, once you get a cage in the car, the difference between through-the-floor subframe connectors and external connectors is a bit academic. they'll still contribute to the longitudinal stiffness of the car, but their benefit is somewhat duplicated by a good cage, so don't stress about it too much.

As far as the subframes making for a good "foundation" for a cage, I'm not buying it. Typical chassis pockup points for a good 6-point cage are the rocker boxes and floorpan in front, the rear seat bulkhead for the main hoop. and the rear shock towers in the rear (this is for a road-racing cage, not a drag cage.) No where to these pickup points come anywhere close to the subframes or the subframe connectors.

However, the conectors can make a good structure to tie into when welding in cross-members for seat mounting, Torque Arm front mounts, and driveshaft loops.

One secret Bruce Griggs and I talked about some years ago was using BOTH kinds of subframe connectors. Using two (in-floor and traditional,) forms a box-structure and has the same effective strength as a beam approx 6" wide. Very, VERY stiff. This is the setup I now run.

·
Registered
2 Posts
[snip]
One secret Bruce Griggs and I talked about some years ago was using BOTH kinds of subframe connectors. Using two (in-floor and traditional,) forms a box-structure and has the same effective strength as a beam approx 6" wide. Very, VERY stiff. This is the setup I now run.
Interesting. Any pics of the setup?

I'd agree that once you have a proper custom cage, SFC's contribute much less to the overall picture, but still very much worth the effort. If they're allowed, I'd do them. Great way to add a some protection under the driver should the car ever end up on it's side.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I'll bite, lol.

Bent bars = weaker. Was that welded with flux core? Those welds look awful goobery like there wasn't enough heat in the weld.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts