Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello turbo guys

Looking for advice (I have searched this forum on this specific subject) The only advice I got was Lenny at Ultimate Converter..which I will call soon.

Any other good vendors out there?

My 86 Mercury Cougar will weigh about 3550 with me.
351w 9.25 compression
mild GT40 heads, f cam, upgraded springs
Edelbrock Performer II intake, 75mm TB
On3 351 kit
80lb injectors, aeromotive 340 pump

In 2006 I had Pat's Performance Converters out of PA. Build me a nice 10" C4 for my 2.3T setup, worked great. Really was efficient, only lost 1.5mph and gain quite abit of ET from the swap from a T5. I really liked it. Cruised great. Havent found his business on the net :(

Now I like going to the strip, but I dont live there. Im not doing a cage so I dont need every last bit of ET from my setup...I will get booted Im sure.

So any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Travis

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I should ask...what is a good price for a converter like I'm looking for.

I paid $375 from Pats, in 2006. That was for a custom 10"... I don't think anything billet.
Held up fine to 300 rwhp for years...

Thanks,

Travis

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
A customer once walked into my shop and asked me to fix his car.
he said he needed it fixed right, cheap, and he needed it right away.
I told him it was only possible to do two of his three requests, pick em.
Not to be a smart azz, just thought it was a good time.
A good converter will run you $800 and up.

·
Registered
582 Posts
PTC here $1400 built to 1000 rwhp specs of my car. i also have one of there stalls in my pulling truck. great company to work with!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yeah, Lenny at ultimate is a little pricey for my blood. Try Dynamic converters, see what they want.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
RevMax. My converter has a billet front, anti-balloon plate, roller internals, and a brazed turbine and I paid right at $350. I love it and I've had no problems at ~450 hp on the nitrous.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I just went with Edge it is not in the car yet but will be a couple weeks running. Billet and roller and balloon plates 9.5 4000 stall cost me 730 to the door. He told me he would do what it take to make me happy and has a great warranty on it. I needed 3 ths to run 9s and he said he thinks he has that just in the converter over my old TCI that really worked good but I had no balloon plates to run a break. That is the only reason I got a new converter he also told me he thinks I will like the converter enough that I wont need the break. But that he would not guarantee. LOL
I did see some bad about him but lots of good and more good then bad. I expect this in the automotive world as I have been it for years. He also takes the time to talk with you about everything. Give him a call it don't cost you a thing other then the call.

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
I had a precision industries c4 converter when I had a c4. Was initially loose but the free adjustment nailed it.

I used Lenny at UCC for my powerglide converter and I would say he is a different ball park of support. He is an expert advisor after you buy a converter from him.

I have a brand new art Carr converter that was spec'ed for a 331/c4/76 turbo. Installed in a car and never run.

I can let that go for $300 shipped.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree with MCJ50....Lenny is the man. I talked to him, the detail of his questions was fantasic being a detail guy myself.

For what I was looking for, also for my needs I just couldnt justify $1000+ on a C4 torque converter. This is a fast street car first and for most. Im really thinking about 4R70W swap, because I want overdrive.

Travis

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I'm using a Rev Max converter and love it. I called in and they nailed the stall speed. Its a very nice piece for 400 dollars.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 22 Posts