Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im doing a 01 4v swap into my bullitt and i have the 80mm c&l meter for a 2v motor but i called c&l and the guy told me that i can reuse the same meter for the 4v motor. I thought i would have the change the sampling tube inside the meter or something? Anyway know for sure, thanks....

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Yes you will need to change the sample tube for the 24lb. injectors. The sample tube is like $10 from them. Just call and order a 24lb injector sample tube and you'll be fine.

Brent

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Why wouldn't he have to switch the sample tube? GT's have 19lb. injectors the cobra's have 24lb. ones. Yes the meter is the same size (80mm) but the sample tube still needs to be changed other wise it will still be reading for 19lb. injectors.

Brent

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nosmatt how many have you sold like this? Meter size doesn't matter so much, it's the calibration for the injectors dood! If it doesn't mater so much why do c&l list two different part #'s? Part # cl-8096 C for the cobra and part# cl-8096 GT for 2.v GT! Won't be ordering any parts from you!!:blam:

·
Registered
495 Posts
nosmatt said:
dont swap the tube.

install it as is. the cobra and gt meter is the same for 99-01. i have sold a ton of em....

good luck!

You are correct about cobra's and gt's having the same meter from the factory. The cobra computer makes the changes for the 24lbs injectors.

But..... We are talking about aftermarket meters so it may be different. Also Bullitt657 is using a gt computer so something has to be changed. ( maybe by chip or the meter )

Jason.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
where did you get those part numbers????

here, 10699 is the real part number, gt or cobra N/A, supercharged versions use 10697A.
and i have sold over 50 of them, AND never had a complaint yet. (try that with prom-m LMFAO!)

anyway, his computer will need a chip to use a gt computer with a cobra motor, or a cobra comp and harness.

i have a quiz for the experts, what size sample tubes do the 93, 94, and 95 cobras use???? ill give you a hint, the same as the gt.

i wanted to make it easy on ya, here, another hint...the 19lb tube!

:lol:

anyway, enough flamin, im sure you feel adequately humiliated.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Black01Bullitt said:
Yes you will need to change the sample tube for the 24lb. injectors. The sample tube is like $10 from them. Just call and order a 24lb injector sample tube and you'll be fine.

Brent
ohh, and the tubes are 39 bux ill have you know... my cost is twice what you quote :)

fwiw, unless you have a s/c, there is no reason to change the tube, there are not enough bolt on parts to require a larger set of injectors, assuming it's a street car, you will not exceed their headroom on a 4.6

·
Registered
495 Posts
nosmatt:

I have a Pro m 80 off a 99/up gt. The guy I got it from and a few others tell me it will work on a 99/up cobra. I called Pro m and they said I need to send it in and pay $100 to recalibrate it. So I have this meter sitting on the shelf doing me no good . What's the deal with Pro m's?? Thanks.

Sorry to steal your thread Kevin but I think you got your answer. Is it running yet???

Jason.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good 'ol universal, off the shelf, one size fits all, slices, dices, and mows the yard C&L!! I'll stick with my tried and true pro-m! Funny they asked what size injectors I had when I bought mine. Guess they have more than one shelf! I guess you would if you made meters with flanges like the later model cars have and didn't just make 'em all like the old 5.0 style. Clamp that filter on and git it cuzz! YEE HAWW! Hey wait this meter looks just like my cousin daddy's 302 lx nawtch back, oh well, YEE HAW anyway!:king:

p.s.
you're probably right but I aint going down without a fight!:curses:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
nosmatt, I'm sorry you get such a sorry deal for the sample tubes. I was standing right beside my friend by one and guess how much it was? You got it $10. So if what you are saying is that the C&L of my buddy '96 Cobra will work on my car without switching sample tubes?

Brent

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
ok guys, relax... i was'nt all that upset :)

anyway, the 96-98 80mm C&L N/A is the same for the cobra and gt, same goes for the 99-01 units. so a 96 80mm wont work on the 99+ cars, sorry.

no idea why the tube your buddy got was so cheap, but i have been known to give them away from time to time. i only buy meter kits with 19lb tubes, and buy the larger tubes seperately, which are 29.00 each btw.... I usually have a surplus of 19lb tubes.

as for pro-m, i cannot say why you would have to recalibrate it, i just don't know.
maybe they want 100 bux? maybe they really do need to recalibrate it.

it may sound ghetto, but the way c&l calibrates their sample tubes is by running them on a dyno with a LAMBDA a/f meter, and seeing which sizes in the tubes make the most power, and the still maintain a safe a/f ratio. thats why some combos with say 30lb injectors on a 5.0 idle great with the 30lb tube, and others surge like mad.
the way that pro m does it for the older cars with alot of mods (namely large cams with low vacuum) is most likely a better way to go if you have no way of tuning your car electronically (eec-tuner, tweaker, dfi etc..)
if you do have that capability, you only buy pro-m because,
a. your trying to impress someone with your flanged meter ( couldnt resist :)
b. you got a good deal
c. you love waiting for recalibrations (2-4 weeks)
d. you like the easy way of using the 30pt transfer function and missing out on the real fun of building your own transfer function yourself!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dang got me again:eek: Actually I've been a carburetor man for most of my days, my '83 GT graced the pages of MM&FF May of '93 and the editor of the magazine mentioned my name in theOct. '92 editorial (dig up those old issues) but have always tuned on FI cars. I worked for a local shop in the late 80's early 90's doing custom turbo and blower installs and we mainly used pro-m and had great results. The only people I've ever heard complain about their meters were people using C&L's but that could just be their tuning ability (or lack of) I should say. Well I put my '83 up last year (trans woes and got bored) and bought a '96 'vert with an auto (first 'vert or a 4.6 for me) and just new I wouldn't get into modding such a lowly slug such as this! But holy pushrods batman this thing is fun! So I started buying everything and when it came to meters all I could do is go on what I thought I knew.:rolleyes: The bullit does not have the quality that the other pro-m's have, they were like quality aluminium, but the bullit looks like muffler pipe:confused: But looks aside it seemed to work, and seems to work GREAT with the big honking homemade CAI I just rigged up:p I'm gonna get my bud's digi camera and post some pics of it in a few days! But I'm stiil gonna keep an eye on you dood, and you know who you are:evil:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Did it ever occur to anybody that calibrating the MAF to the injectors is just the wrong way to go about it?

MAFs are calibrated to the flow rate vs voltage output, or transfer function, not to injector size. MAF companies try to get us to think the MAF has to be recalibrated to injector size for one simple reason - they can't recalibrate the EEC for the new transfer function. So they resort to a compromise, which is to change the transfer function to try and accomodate the change in injector size.

Changing the transfer function without telling the EEC is a problem. MAF is the king in an EFI world. Flow reported by the MAF affects more than just the a/f. Load calculation come straight from the MAFs output, and is used to make decisions regarding spark advance, shift points (in an auto tranny) and more.

I would personally never use a C&L meter because you just don't know what the transfer function is. At least with a ProM you get a flow sheet (although only 9 points, you can do a regression analysis and extrapolate the other points, or pay extra to get all the points EEC wants). IMHO the best way to go is to use Ford meters. The transfer functions are known, and the varience between the meters is not very great.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts