Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Calling all c-clip eliminator experts! I am converting from stock drum to 11.65" Cobra rear brakes. I currently now have 4-lug Strange ss/street 31 spline axles with Strange c-clip eliminators. This setup was installed by the previous owner so it is new to me. I have ordered new Moser 5-lug axles. Should the installation of the bearings be done by a machine shop with a press? Can l use the old c-clip eliminator setup with the old bearings be reused from the c-clip eliminators or should I just go all new and get Moser's c-clip eliminator setup.? What else should or needs to be done to be ready for the track? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
C-clip eliminators are BAD for a car that corners. You should eliminate the C-clip eliminators.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Then I need a new rearend

The axle housing was modified for the clip eliminator? The type of kits used on 8.8 axles will not allow the bearings to survive with the thrust loads seen in hard cornering (at least this is my understanding). In drag racing they will keep a broken axle from exiting the housing.

8.8 housings can be modified for 9 inch axle housing ends with pressed on bearings. This is a very robust, as well as safe solution. I'm also sure it's likely that the current axle housing could be used with this mod.

Jay

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked this up at Moser website. It doesn't appear to be problem with bearings according to them. They said the aluminum brackets may flex and leak over time. I'll look for a shop that can modify this 8.8.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts