Ford Mustang Forums banner

C-4 Experts need some help!

6K views 140 replies 15 participants last post by  Nutzz 
#1 ·
what would make a c-4 feel like it dont/wont shift? Example when i drive 1 st feels like 3rd and when i put it in 2nd it feel like the car wants to die kinda like a break is being put on in the trans. Car wont shift other then reverse and 3rd which is 1st,2nd and 3rd. Im thinking pump went out or clutches are toast.:shakehead

#2 ·
hmmm wow I had the same thing happen to me this weekend in joliet with the same ******* c4.... dropped the pan on mine today,fluid isnt burnt,but it is full of metal.when I put mine in the first gear position it goes in and the brake holds but when you take off it feels like its in 2nd,shift it 1-2 nothing happens,2-3 shift is ok.I got no clue will be pulling it out this week,will probably be putting a glide back in though......

#3 ·
Sprayed I posted else where another guy called and said his red neck trans did the same as well. Interesting. I have owned mine a few years and maybe have 300 miles on it. But I have been deployed 3 out of the last 6 years. Actually it probally has mostly 1/8th mile and 1/4 mile passes. Anyone have a idea. I looked at the fluid, it didnt seem burnt,!

#4 ·
mine has never missed a beat. call ******* and see what they say.

#5 ·
make sure the shifter adjustment is not out of wack. I had a cable go bad (split), got too close to an exhaust pipe somewhere down the line. Replaced it and all is well, don't have a ******* C4 though, just their converter and brake. drop the pan and see what you find. You could get a high pressure gauge and see what kind of pressure is in the tranny. Theres a port just in front and down from the shift arm.

#6 ·
Ok thanks Matt I will check. ******* dont answer phones 99 percent of the time. I checked cable already. Its adjust correct.

#8 ·
Well they must of hired a some help! Or the sky is falling! Nope I think they have my number blocked. After they screwed up 4 times trying to get my stall correct maybe im blocked. But thanks sprayed347 for looking out! If the band let go before 500 miles must be a issue or this transmission is just weak. I had nothing really bad to say about them but this is getting rediculous fixing this trans. Pump shaft broke once,4 stalls and no this! Guess I will leave a message tomorrow. Thanks again sprayed347!

#10 ·
Sounds like a valve body problem. I know in my dealings with C4s or C6s over the years, the valve body is usually the culprit of most transmission problems.

Are you using a t-brake? If not, then it still most likely has the governor in the rear which is another problem area. I went to a full manual valve body t-brake a few years ago. Part of the installation process involved removing the governor permantely.

My suggestion is to go with a full manual valve body. Ever since I did that, I haven't had not even a single problem since.

#13 ·
Did you take the valve body itself apart? I had a valve stuck in mine once and it had no 2nd gear. 1st worked, 2nd was like neutral, 3rd worked. Also, if yours still has the governor, check that.

All the drums and servo pistons can still work when you apply air to them but won't work when the valve body is bolted up. Sometimes all it takes is one tiny bit of metal to stick a valve.

#14 ·
there is no governor,all valves are blocked off basicly except for the manual valve,took it all apart and cleaned...no problem found.possibly a servo problem,but who knows iam very close to just putting a glide in it and being done.thanks for the help iam at a loss.

#15 ·
Honestly my local built C-4 still works great! I bought it from a guy who had a shop put some parts in it, ran perfect. This tranny i have has worked fine all the way up to this year. But like I said there are hardly any miles on this trans. I dont make more 500 hp at the fly so this trans should not fall apart.

#17 ·
Nutzz, check your band adjustment. It may not be shot, just worn off enough friction material that it needs tightened up, also had that happen to me. Could be a possible servo problem, split or bad O-ring. Both are easy fixes.

#18 ·
No its still in the car, im moving and cant work on my car for about 2 weeks. But i will check it out thanks matt.

#21 ·
No sure have not. I live on base and I have no garage! Im kinda stuck, we have a craft shop but it is expensive to work there all day. Still stuck! New plan is to go there pull transmission and take it to someone local and let them fix it. I did reach *******, asked questions and he acted like he had no clue. Honestly the transmission worked good in the beggining but after talking to some bigger transmission shop's I learned a few things about ******* racing, like how they get there trans etc. Not gonna bash because it is rumor because i can not prove anything. I think PA would of been a better choice lol but you do get what you pay for and thought i got away with a steal. Owell live and learn.

#22 ·
Dont feel bad I broke my ******* this weekend as well. But it was in the most important race I have ever been in Pinks All Out. Did not even get to do an arm drop. Putting my ATO racing transmission back in. I think I smoked the clutches in it.

#23 ·
Dude that sucks! If you dont mind me asking what is it doing?

#24 ·
It smoked the clutches went I let go of the transbrake at 5000. Felt it slip a little on test and tune friday night. I am not sure what they use for clutches but they did not last long. will only move in reverse. When I put on the transbrake it backs up in first gear of coarse. Just got it out going to go tear it down. Will let you know what I find.

#26 ·
I went to the library and found a Chiltons how to rebuild C-4 transmissions. Woot!! Im wondering if i should purchase a rebuild kit(race kit) and try doing it myself. I need to find a video, im thinking i can do it and save money but dont want to mess it up either. BUuuuuT if I do it right then im thinking I can refresh it when i want. what you think?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.