Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't even drive with my windows down because my clothes and everything else will smell SO BAD like I just got finished riding a lawnmower or a go kart. I can't stand it. I currently run an offroad mac hpipe and want to switch to a catted hiflo pipe. Will the smell go away completely? THat is all I am concerned about. Power issue loss or gain is a problem since I will be adding lontubes at the same time.

Help, my brain cells are dying on a daily basis from the exhaust, especially since I have side pipes.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would think so, but it may not go away totally due to only 2 cats instead of 6, but I'm not sure either. I have O/R X and I do smell it a little when I get out of the car, but haven't had anyone say anything to me about my clothes smelling bad or anything. Anyone else had this problem with rear exit exhaust? Hopefully it's just a side exit flaw. As for HP decrease I don't think you have to worry because all the info I've saw only shows like a hp or 2 at the most difference between Hi flow and off road pipes.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well obviously, its not a side exhaust DEFECT...im not getting into the side pipe v.s. rear exit dispute....please everyone...leave it along for now LOL LOL

It smells on me cuz I have side pipes and the only ones that complain about the rear pipes smelling with o/r pipes are the ones with verts when they have their tops down.

Just want some opinions from those who have switched from no cats to high flows

Thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey sorry, don't be so defensive, I wasn't trying to start the side vs. rear thing and actually I didn't even know there was one. LOL! I like side exhaust! ;)Anyway I simply was just posting about the fewer cats question and because I too would like to know the answer to your question. I have rear exit exhaust and no convertible and I can't say I like the smell and I do notice it, but I think it's bearable at least until I decide to dish out the extra $$$ for the hi flow setup.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
You should get rid of the rich fuel smell, only to be replaced by a nice catalytic converter smell (sulfur). It's not so bad, and only noticeable if you've been romping on it. So, overall, yes, you'll get rid of the problem.

Now, if you want a pipe that will bolt RIGHT UP, go with the VRS catted pipe. I couldn't believe how easy mine went on. Very, very nice piece.

·
Registered
416 Posts
i think the o/r smell of raw gas smells better than the aftermarket catted pipe smell. thats just my opinion though...:evil:

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, lets see...showing up for a date smelling like gas or smelling like catted pipe. What would you choose? :lol:

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
98Roush said:
well, lets see...showing up for a date smelling like gas or smelling like catted pipe. What would you choose? :lol:
Why not take a shower and throw some cologne on? LMAO.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dude, you know what I mean. that was funny though.

Its so bad sometimes that If I had the car running and ran around it once....I WOULD STINK like a farmer! no offense farmers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
yellow98stang said:
i think the o/r smell of raw gas smells better than the aftermarket catted pipe smell. thats just my opinion though...:evil:
Hey Yellow98stang

are you still going to ffw in atl this weekend? If so, a guy and i are driving both of our cars and wanted to know if you wanted to caravan on up there on friday?

if so give me a call at 821-6385

later
robert

99 silver gt vert w/ black top
auto tranny

k&n
bassani off road x pipe w/ dallas mustang mil's
magnaflow catback w/ 3.5" tips(wow)

on order: steeda t/a, steeda pullies(replacement), steeda gtrac stage 1 & 2, wms cai, saleen pedals, & CDC shaker hood

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hmmm, no one seems to be having such a strong smell as my exhaust does....

...are there others factors that could lead to this. I can't think of any. I am tuned properly.

·
Registered
180 Posts
yellow98stang said:
I agree. But again, that's just two opinions.

My Hi Flow catted H Pipe in my 1990 GT still had the same smell my Off Road H Pipe has, just to a somewhat lesser degree. I'd be pretty confident that the smell would definitely not be as bad if you switched to a Hi Flow cat H Pipe, but it won't be like stock.

Try and find someone with an OR H Pipe to compare your car to, though. Maybe you do have a rich condition.

·
Registered
733 Posts
98Roush said:
hmmm, no one seems to be having such a strong smell as my exhaust does....

...are there others factors that could lead to this. I can't think of any. I am tuned properly.
If you're smelling raw gasoline at the exhaust, you're definitely NOT properly tuned. Yes, the catalyst will get rid of a lot of this, but I'd start at the intake/computer control. For some reason, you're not getting properly leaned-out. A/F ratio is too low. Even an engine w/o catalysts should NOT have raw gas getting through it.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think its rich since i just put an svo/roush roots blower on my car and used their svo eec which is tuned to all my stuff.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Well, if it's not a raw gasoline smell, it's probably ok. Exhaust does smell nasty.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
My car makes about 550 corrected RW and 435 ft lbs TQ thru Bassani cats, and I have no smell at all. Just stock exhaust type smell. I also don't think they cost much HP, if any, and certainly don't hurt TQ much. It makes the car a little (lot) quieter, which I like.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts