Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this thread in 94/95, but it wasn't really going anywhere:

The bumpsteer kit I have uses a 5/8" bolt without taper. after talking to a machine shop, they said all they could do was use a drill and drill through it to 5/8". A few members on here said it had to be reamed, but the machinist felt there was no way.

he felt that even a good corded drill and a sharp 5/8" bit (which i have) could do it. I just need more opinions before I screw anything up.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Chris,

Reaming to the exact size would be better if you were using a precision bolt, which you probably aren't. No matter what you do, you aren't going to end up with a zero clearance fit between the shank of the bolt and the ID of the steering arm hole. If you really want to get the hole the exact size, get a drill bit that is 0.010" under 5/8" a drill the arm with it. Then ream the hole with a 5/8" reamer.

My advice is to find someone with a variable speed drill press that can turn very low rpm. Clamp the spindle to the table and drill very slowly with very light pressure. Make sure to put a chamfer on the ID of the hole afterwards so that the bolt head will seat against the steering arm properly.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Jack Hidley said:
Chris,
My advice is to find someone with a variable speed drill press that can turn very low rpm. Clamp the spindle to the table and drill very slowly with very light pressure. Make sure to put a chamfer on the ID of the afterwards so that the bolt head will seat against the steering arm properly.
These two comments cannot be stressed enough. This is not a job for a hand drill but a machinist with a drill press should be able to do this for $10 a pop. It's a very simple job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts