Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 lx I have seen pleasantly of threads saying how the lx bumper cover needs a lot of trimming to fit back on after the intercooled and plumbing is in. I am having a hell of a time. Did you guys have to cut the plumbing down? I can’t really see this working without doing so unless I’m doing something wrong. I already cut a good amount out and I don’t want to destroy the bumper cover. I am still held out about 1” and I can’t trim much more with out it looking all jacked up

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm at the same point on my install as well. I too have a LX. I'll try and upload pic's tonight so you can see what I've done. Basically you have to mount your intercooler about 1/2'' below your hood latch. By doing this you will not have to trim the bottom of the bumper. My bumper didn't require any trimming. But i did remove my A/C and that gave me some more room to work with. Do you have the standard 3" intercooler? If you upgraded to the 4" race intercooler then i'm afraid you have no choice but to trim the bumper. It's all in where you mount the intercooler. I made up some brackets and when i finally got around to test fitting my bumper I had to make some adjustment to my brackets.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You didn’t have any issue with the pipe length? And with mounting it that high is it getting and air flow? I also removed the air conditioning so I do have room to play with my biggest issue was if I move my inter cooler any higher it seems I have to cut one of the 2 pipes on the passenger side to make it shorter to allow it to move up. I have the standard 3”

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I ended up getting it all to fit. Had to trim the bumper cover a little bit nothing you can tell from the front only if you go under the car you can see it. My car is at the tuner now and he is having trouble with it getting kinda hot. I might try and adjust the i/c a little more when I get the car back to allow the rad to get more air flow

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah I ended up getting it all to fit. Had to trim the bumper cover a little bit nothing you can tell from the front only if you go under the car you can see it. My car is at the tuner now and he is having trouble with it getting kinda hot. I might try and adjust the i/c a little more when I get the car back to allow the rad to get more air flow
I didn't have an issue with heat and my Intercooler does not hang passed the bumper. I was pretty happy with my tune. It made 464 rwhp and 493 torque at 8lbs of boost

Attachments

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What type of fan are you running? And are you running 50/50 or straight water?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Running into same predicament. Not sure if I should just paint this bumper and keep it, or try finding another stock LX and trying to make it fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It’s your car what ever you like. My car just looks so stock so I didn’t want to mess it up. The bottom of my intercooler is flush with the bottom of the core support and probably an inch in front of it, I can’t tell if that’s where yours is. After that it just took a bunch of trimming from the inside of the cover. Probably had it on and off 10 times to get it to where I liked it

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
my stock cover fit fine with a little trimming. Try to set the IC back as far as possible and keep the clamps loose until you get it situated. No engine temp issues with mine either.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I had to modify my ac condenser brackets so the the condenser sits as close to the core support as possible. Then still had to trim a lot from back side of the bumper cover to fit. Be prepared to take bumper off a few times and do a little bit of trimming at a time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts