Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this car 6 months ago for a good deal. But had a blown up motor. This is my first mustang, and first intorduction to the mod motor. Fired it up last night and she's running strong on a break in tune with about 2-3 psi of boost!

·
Registered
745 Posts
nice build man looks like you did alot of work, motor looks alot cleaner too:salute:

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Nice work.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!! I've put a lot of time and money into it for sure. After doing a lot of research I found a forum where a previous owner actually blew it up on the dyno back in 2011. He was going for way more boost/power than those stock valve springs would handle. It put down 630 hp and over 700 ft of torque. But floated 2 exhaust valves, smacked the piston, bent them, continued to drive it for another 1 1/2 like that. Valve seats fell out and huge chunks of metal from the seat when thru the turbo and one chunk was floating up in the intake bouncing from cylinder to cylinder. It was a mess. He ruined a good motor and a good turbo. I bought a 67mm ITS t4 .81. Here's the dyno sheet.

·
Registered
456 Posts
what boost did he have and what boost are you looking to run it at?
Looks nice!!!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Great job so far. Needs wheels and some type of rear spoiler next. :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He blew it up on 20lbs. I'm only looking for 10-15lbs. I just took the factory wing off a few weeks ago!! Haha. My wife doesn't like the way it looks with one. Wheels are next on my list. I'm calling these my roll arounds for now. I actually built this car for her. We sold her 99 gt a year ago and she's been heart broken since. I told her I'd build her something faster, and she always like the 96 cobra. So here we are.

·
Registered
994 Posts
He blew it up on 20lbs. I'm only looking for 10-15lbs. I just took the factory wing off a few weeks ago!! Haha. My wife doesn't like the way it looks with one.
Tell her she's wrong and put it back on.:evilgrin:

·
Registered
461 Posts
You are right about the graph, tuner f'd that up.

Question though, I see you are tuning with advantage3(so am I). Did you get a mako tune file from a reputable tuner or go straight to the sct value files? I'm installing a hpx maf and I'm trying to decide on starting my tune from scratch or just put the hpx vf on my decent tune.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I use that to and I'm having problems with it running a bit rich

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Straight to the sct value files. That single walbro 400 is working great. It's just as quiet as a stock fuel pump to IMO. Got her tuned at 10 lbs now and a/rs are right at 11.5 on the wide band at 6500. She is getting some spark plug blow out tho. Gapped plugs at 28. I think its those msd coils. Sucks msd isn't what they use to be.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
that block is still good over 1000RWH
Have you actually witnessed it? Lot of yes an no I've read about these blocks. My fuel system will limit me too what my mark is set at for hp. Along with the 67mm ITS. Any more than 600-650 on the street is asking for trouble.... You havnt met my wife. She will get herself in enough trouble with this car the way it's running right now. 3.27 gears are going in next. More data logging next week once I get some slicks. Anything over 4000-4500 Rpms right now just lights the tires in 3rd to 4th gear pulls.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts