Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a boxtop Fairmont that a buddy and I are working on. One of my concerns is how to keep it quiet. The only engine combo I have as of now is a solid roller 393 that puts down 550+. I think the comp. ratio is around 12:1 on it. I want the car to be as unassuming as possible. What ideas/strategies have worked for you guys?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
An additional pair of mufflers always helps keep things a little quieter.

·
Registered
326 Posts
302 or 351 based setup, real mild cam, nice heads/intake setup, single turbo, run downpipe to a Y-pipe, then run a nice set of mufflers

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My buddy that is helping on this project has a 79 coupe with a twin turbo kit on it, just a b-cam and it is whisper quiet. I suppose we could round up the parts to do that. Although, the car would run 9's assuming we can get it down the track with our tire choice with the 393 and a small shot.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Two sets of Dynomax Ultraflo mufflers would quiet it down a bunch. But as said, so would a turbo setup with no mufflers.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
I can tell you that it isn't easy to quiet down a stroked windsor.
My 85 with a 575hp 418 in it has had 2 exhaust systems in it.
#1. 1 3/4 headers, to a pair of dynomax bullets, thru and X pipe, thru a pair of 2 chamber flowmasters and then tail pipes.
ALL 3"

#2. same headers, straight piped to a pair of ultraflows, and then tailpipes. Still all 3"

The ultraflow setup is definitely quieter. I would have liked to try it with the bullets and X in front of it to see how quiet it would be....but there is no way someone wouldn't know it was packing some serious power.

My advice would be to run the ultraflows, keep it 2.5", and run an X pipe to try to swallow up the sound.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts