Ford Mustang Forums banner

Budget suspension setup on a fox

5K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  JFraser27 
#1 ·
What’s everyone doing with their foxes on a budget for the strip? I picked up a new project and I have it tore right down to nothing at the moment. My other car I have some parts on and I like how it works but I don’t want to put that kind of money into this one yet. Basically, where should I start? Rear upper and lower control arms? Springs struts? The car is a LX and it has all the stock suspension in it (well it’s on the garage floor). I’m putting torque box reinforcements and full length subframe connectors in it now. Where should I start?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I have a good set of tires already, might just try that. I just have everything apart and was wondering if there was anything I really should do before it goes back together.

#5 ·
I have the K member out now due to front end repairs, been debating on doing a k member and coil overs, or at least just the k member with spring perches. The car is going to be a stock block with On3 setup through an AOD.

#8 ·
A few things I did for cheap:
New 8.8 Diff Bushings
Adjustable Shocks
(No Name Brand) Rear Tubular Upper & Lower Control Arms
Poly Engine & Trans Mounts
Quad Shocks
New Steering Rack (which also included new inner & outer tie rods)

Pricey stuff:
Adjustable Struts w/ Coilovers
Tubular K-Member
6-point cage
High Quality Drag Radials

Reactions: JFraser27
#9 ·
I think I’d like to do the tubular K member with the spring perches for now, and then if I ever wanted to go coil overs and A arms it’s already there. Anyone use the strange single adjustable shocks/ struts? They seem to be about the same price as the Lakewood’s I have on my other car. Thought about giving them a try.

#10 ·
I've used the Strange Adjustable Shocks in the rear with a factory spring with one coil cut since 2015. I set them soft on the street. I recently went from Lakewood 90/10 struts to the Strange Adjustable Struts. Still experimenting with those but they netted me 1.9 60fts. on Nittos with not much horsepower.

#11 ·
I will constantly pull low 1.6 60fts with my Lakewood 90/10 and 50/50 in the rear. Eibach drag springs and baseline relocated control arms. That to me is a pretty basic easy setup. Just wondering if I’d gain much from adjustable strange shocks/ struts, and coilovers. Are rear control arms necessary? I was originally going to strip my good parts from the other car for this one but now plans have changed and I want both cars to operate still. I’ve read some people will box the stock uppers. The less money I spend on the suspension now the more I have to put into other areas.

#13 ·
Budget in my book ranges all the time unfortunately. It all started when I started watching videos of guys running what they say is “stock suspension” and cutting 1.5 60fts with just good tires and no more then say 350/400 HP. I don’t know what they actually changed on their setup. They claim stock UCA and LCA and maybe 4cyl springs and maybe V8 springs with coils cut off. Who knows what shocks they’re running. I guess budget for me this time around is what’s the best bag for my buck. What can I do to this car to get it to work pretty well for what it is. Are there any parts that MUST be upgraded? With Xmas here and my DD just needing some maintenance and my welder acting up my budget just got a little smaller for now lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.