Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Son's budget build 306

Hi Corralers,

I gave my son my 92SSP and he is currently doing a budget build 306 for it. I had a spare shortblock that came from an 86 fox, so that's what he'll be using. The question is this... is balancing the rotating assembly a necessity? The block is currently being machined to accept the .030 over piston that were ordered. He ended up ordering DSS pistons to replace the stockers. They are -3cc's. His budget has allowed him a new set of AFR Heads, 1.6 roller rockers, and I'm giving him a spare X303 cam I had in the garage. It's being topped off with a TFS Street Heat Intake.

Thanks Fellas!

Attachments

·
Vendor
11,886 Posts
High likelihood that the new piston, pin, lock and rings will weigh substantially different than the oem stuff. So if this is the case, yes its wise to rebalance. Look how much labor goes into building, installing only to do it all again? Seems like a simple answer when in context.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Woody! Now we need to find out if the new pistons will work with the stock rods.... According to DSS they were designed to. I believe the wrist pins are .912 as well, but going from stock pressed to floating type is now in question.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Pretty sure, like 99.9infinity% positive, you can't put full floating pistons on press fit rods without modifying the rods.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Pretty sure, like 99.9infinity% positive, you can't put full floating pistons on press fit rods without modifying the rods.
Correct, you will need to have the machine shop hone the pin end out to float them. They should also drill a oil hole at the top of the pin bore to introduce more oil to the pin.
Another option is to measure the new pin and see if it will have enough press if so just install them as pressed pins on the factory rods.

In all honesty if your having to get the assembly balanced anyway, by the time you pay a shop to remove the old pistons from the stock rods and recondition them its almost cheaper to buy a Scat or Eagle I beam rod and not look back. You will find it cheaper in the end to go this route.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got off the phone with DSS. They said the wrist pin can be used in either application. However if I do decide to go floating and use the clips, the rod would have to be modified.

·
Vendor
11,886 Posts
Just press the pin in the rod as you would a regular oem piston. Dont spend any money doing any work to the stock rod.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just press the pin in the rod as you would a regular oem piston. Dont spend any money doing any work to the stock rod.
Awesome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts