Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals. I was wondering if some of you that's built a 331 on a budget can shed some light on you're build and parts used?

My car currently has (what I've been told) 306, with gt40x heads, e cam, 1.7 rockers, gt40 tubular intake, 24lb injectors, 70mm tb, 73 maf.

Pretty basic combo, and I know some parts can be reused. I'd likely try to find a set of AFR heads in place of the current heads.

400-425 hp would be nice on 91 non oxygenated fuel.

Thanks much.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you want budget, I'd just skip the 331, and put a nice set of Trick Flow 11R 190 heads on the stock short block with a new camshaft and Holley Systemax intake. I think you'd make around 330 or more to the wheels without the stroker.

Or, you could just get the 11r heads and new camshaft without the stroker. I think you could still make it past 300 rwhp without getting rid of the tubular GT40 intake.

Lastly you might be able to do a 331 stroker with 185 Renegade AFR heads, change the fuel injectors to 36 pounds and keep everything else. That might get you 400 flywheel horsepower or more, and 350-360 to the wheels.

·
Registered
762 Posts
The poster above has the right idea.

If you get you a good set of heads (11r are nice due to a good amount of ptv clearance) and a good cam then 400-425 crank hp is doable all day with a rock stock short block. That gt40 intake would ideally have some port work done as well, if you’re dead set on keeping it.

Some bigger injectors will be needed as well, along with tuning the car.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, some solid advice. I'm not familiar with those trick flow heads. You guys don't think the 11r 190 heads are to big for a 306?

·
Old timer
5,716 Posts
Thanks guys, some solid advice. I'm not familiar with those trick flow heads. You guys don't think the 11r 190 heads are to big for a 306?
* no *

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2,297 Posts

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
:wink2:
Too big, yes, but they only needed more intake, cam, and valvetrain.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
/forums/images/Corral_net_2015/smilies/tango_face_wink.png
Too big, yes, but they only needed more intake, cam, and valvetrain.
Thanks. Makes me wonder if my AFR 185 were big enough for my old 347.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Run as much compression you can. Run the appropriate gear for the cam you choose and it will be nasty.
The car currently has 3.55 gears with a cobra IRS. I think if I stayed na I'd consider 4:10's.

I'm wondering how a centri blower with 5-6 psi on this current 306 would be?

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm sure it'd do just fine. You'd probably make the power you want for much less money/wrenching too.
Cool that's my thinking as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts