Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Budget heads for a 289. A lot of people say to use the gt40 heads, but they drop compression by over a 1/2 point, this is caused by it's 65cc combustion chambers. Even with the pistons at 0 deck height and a 0.039 thick head gasket the cr was 8.33:1 not even enough for a 268H cam. Suggestions.

·
Premium Member
2,681 Posts
How much in your budget? What heads are on the engine now?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Budget is my specialty! I'm "cheap" but figured out what works the last thirty five years of trial and error on SB Fords. My two cents, use the GT40 heads and change out the pistons with Keith Black's KB116 (domed). If your 289 has the stock pistons those skirts are known to crack under stress. KB116's are hypers and use the cheaper rings. I have a 306 that runs consistent 11.50's and stock 2M crank with those pistons. Not a rocket but as fast as my wallet wants to go with that motor. A good balance job as well is a huge factor to making these small blocks sing! Good luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heads now are e7te. I didn't think about domed pistons. The flat tops that I was looking at hypers as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Plans are for this to be a semi daily driver. What carb, intake, cam, gear ratio. Car is for fun, nothing for the track. Only track around here is gateway in Madison ill.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't bought any parts yet. I seen this lunati voodoo cam, .483/.499 × 256*/262*. Duration at 0
050 is 213/219 112* lsa. Wanting good low to midrange torque.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
you have a 289 and you want low and mid range?

Mid range I can halfway understand but a 289's short stroke does NOT lend itself to good low end. Not at all.

One option: Toss a 3.4" crankshaft in it, 5.400 rods and the correct pistons. Ed's cam. Plenty of fun low and mid range with a decent idle to boot.

After eating a couple of 302's in a Maverick, I had a 289 crank and some Boss 302 rods laying around, and threw it together. Flat top about 8.5:1 compression pump gas. Really weak from idle to about 3500 even in a light Maverick. It ran forever and sounded nice but it was very weak down low. Once the RPM came up, it ran ok. Shift at 5500 as I recall, modified C4 with 3000 stall "saturday night special" converter.

·
Registered
165 Posts
For a 289 the best cheap head is a GT40P. It has smaller combustion chambers than the GT40. Lots of guys running them in the classic Fords. That’s what I plan to use on my 68 Mustang, only issue is there aren’t many headers that fit due to the different spark plug angle. Stock manifolds and the hipo manifolds work with a little trimming.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I love it when someone has a goal and budget and seek suggestions then here come the ones to blow your budget out of the water. Not to be mean but stick to the original goal. Thirty years of customers and their great ideas, I've seen it all. The voodoo cam you picked out is a great grind for your goal. For just a little more torque the cheapest route is an old 2M , 28oz 302 crank and suggest a set of Scat rods. Minor clearance will be needed on the bottom of a couple cylinders to clear the crank throws. Harbor freight 4 1/2" $20 works perfect and identical radius to the 302 blocks. Pistons are the same specs. No other modifications needed. With that cam a mild converter will benefit. If you want a lot of torque that is when you go to the 351w. You should easily be under the $2500 range. I whipped up that exact bottom end with a stock crank, balanced within a gram and threw some victor jr's on it with a .654 lift solid roller with a 106 separating just to see what it would do, oh, C4 with 5500 stall. Ran 11.44 best shifting at 6800 and in the traps at 7200. Had so much fun with it I left it in the car all season and kept the 347 on the stand.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for all your help. I'm going to be busy over the winter months with trial fitting parts and then putting it all together. I'm going to look into a stroker kit. What size carburetor and intake would top it all off

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone on the forum live in the st.louis area? I'm only asking because I've been out of the car scene for a while and I'd like to find a good machine shop. I wish thinking that it would be a good idea to have the block align honed, or at least checked. Also wanting to get the block decked/ squared and bore/honed with torque plates and a good quality balancing job. Would bronze valve guides be a good idea or a waste of money? What about having the valves back cut.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
local guy runs a ranger with a DIY/JY 289 with a single turbo from a diesel truck (I want to say HX40?)

it runs good.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm still in need of a good machine shop. I don't want to spend good money on parts only to have poor quality machine work as that can destroy any build.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm thinking about using 1.5" primary tube headers with 2.5" diameter collector's. Ceramic coated and of midlength design. With a mandrel bent exhaust system using 2 1/4" diameter. A turbo set up probably would help the performance, but I don't have any experience with them and it would drive up the cost of the build as well.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Powerstroke turbo would probably work well too.
I had one on a 302 in a maverick. It makes good power but the turbo is on the small side for a 302. Better suited for a 289 or smaller, IMO. Maybe a 260. But the turbo I used was from a 96. 95-97 7.3 powerstroke all same turbo. The later 7.3's (1999 up to 2003) mostly had a smaller turbine and slightly larger compressor, they were also a weird turbine inlet (which many call a "baby's butt"). If it weren't for the baby butt style inlet it would be easier to make it work. Also the early 7.3 turbo's did not have a wastegate so that would have to be considered. I ran without one for a while but trust me....you NEED it! It will bury a 30 psi gauge pretty quickly without it.

biggest challenge is that the compressor turns backwards (anti clockwise) of most turbos so the compressor outlet and turbine inlet are on the wrong side to make it work like most turbos do. Not a huge deal but it makes placement of the turbo in the engine bay a little different, that's all.

nice thing about using a 7.3 turbo is that they are cheap. I have gotten them for free many many times over the years. Build your hot side piping, the cold side, add an intercooler and go play with it. Make sure you have forged pistons and good gaskets. Keep the boost low until you get the hang of it. 4-5 psi is basically nothing, but it will get your feet wet.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts