Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what I thought was a loose rocker ended up being a broken pushrod with the tip stuck inside the rocker. I think it may of came loose on the dyno and went unnoticed and then it ended up breaking the tip off. There was a few pieces of pushrod around the valve spring and aluminum shavings around the valve guide. After putting a camera down and looking at the lifter it looks like there’s a little bit of aluminum shavings on the top of the lifter. My question is would you pull the motor out and pull everything apart? Or would you just pull the intake clean the lifter off then flush the motor a few times with oil changes?

·
Registered
766 Posts
I’d pull the intake off and evaluate to see how many pieces you have around the lifter area. Cutting open the oil filter and doing an oil change is what I would do next.

If the pushrod didn’t send a bunch of shavings out you’ll most likely be just fine.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
pull the motor

and before it goes back in the car id figure out why it broke... correctly sized push rods dont just break

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m leaning towards pulling the motor I think just to be on the safe side and I might upgrade to a billet rod. The pushrods are comp cams .120 wall 7/16 not sure if they’re 3pc or not. I’m pretty sure this happened because the rocker came loose and went unnoticed I don’t think there’s any issue with pushrod length.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
PICS!!! That's a somewhat stout pushrod unless your load is ridiculously high and caused a stress crack lengthwise below the tip leading to failure?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts