Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sat I broke a wheel on track. I mean it broke! The whole center of the wheel that bolts to the hub broke out. It was an American Muscle 17x9 95 Cobra R replica. The bolted on part stayed on the car and the barrel along with the 5 spokes took off across the run off area, bounced over a tire wall and into the woods. I was just along for the ride and luckily I didn't hit anything. Tons of smoke. I thought the whole corner tore off but it was just the wheel.

Now I'm looking for new wheels and I think I better stay away from the AM Chinese junk. They need to clear my Cobra R brakes and I want to stay with 17x9s. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
662 Posts
ye ole standby...enkei rpf-1s ?

also...glad no damage and you are ok (that's always most important part)..with that said, got any pics of the carnage? ;)

I'm also rocking some AM bullet replicas...I always inspect them for cracks after every event...I'm saving up for rpf-1s myself.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Sat I broke a wheel on track. I mean it broke! The whole center of the wheel that bolts to the hub broke out. It was an American Muscle 17x9 95 Cobra R replica. The bolted on part stayed on the car and the barrel along with the 5 spokes took off across the run off area, bounced over a tire wall and into the woods. I was just along for the ride and luckily I didn't hit anything. Tons of smoke. I thought the whole corner tore off but it was just the wheel.

Now I'm looking for new wheels and I think I better stay away from the AM Chinese junk. They need to clear my Cobra R brakes and I want to stay with 17x9s. Any thoughts?
I've got a set of OEM Cobra R's, which I haven't used in forever, but they are all way in SoCal. Not going to be cheap to ship to you probably.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Since when? I'm pretty sure my RPF1 wheels are Japanese made.
I thought the same too, but i recently was looking for some wheels for my DD and found some Enkei's that said made in China, and other Enkei's saying made in Thailand. :shifty:
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=4698806540BML&wheelMake=Enkei Performance&wheelModel=Lusso&wheelFinish=Black w/Mach Lip&showRear=no&autoMake=Mazda&autoModel=Mazda6&autoYear=2014&autoModClar=Touring

EDIT ok so not all Enkei's are made the same I guess, RPF1's are made in Japan.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
CCWs - made in the USA (Florida). One piece forged, two piece forged or three piece forged. Never buy another wheel again.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Been using the AM FR500 in 17 x 9 for a number of years competing in CMC for years. Most of the mustang run these and the only wheel anyone has ever broken was a Enkei rpf1 about 5 years ago (that guys is brutal on all his equipment though.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Been using the AM FR500 in 17 x 9 for a number of years competing in CMC for years. Most of the mustang run these and the only wheel anyone has ever broken was a Enkei rpf1 about 5 years ago (that guys is brutal on all his equipment though.
Will they fit over the 2000 R brakes?

·
Registered
7,599 Posts

not sure why some many support this china repro wheel bs especially in high performance applications like hours but I hope you post some pics as you got lucky to say the least and maybe it will make others think twice.

some food for thought a guy on the corvette forum seriously crashed his C5 years back and posted some very interesting info. I recall him getting attorneys involved and shortly thereafter the site deleted the thread as it seems site sponsorship was more important than members safety.

weldcraft is also rejecting lot of these wheels when they come in for widening but again everyone claims that the "quality" is there"... "Replica wheels tend to have a higher rate of rejection due to excessive runout."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts