Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
found this on my car thursday evening :blam:

trying to decide if i should get a pair of 17x9's from MM to replace or get rid of the villains altogether. i read that this is not an uncommon problem with them.

anyone know if the 05 GT split 5spoke wheels will clear 04 cobra PBRs?

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I broke a spoke on a Villain earlier this month (well, at least that's when I noticed it). Hadda replace it with another from MM. Why would you get a pair of wheels to replace one broken spoke?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
my car/combo requires the high offset wheels. my current konigs are 17x8 and +44 offset. i could probly fit the MM 17x9's in the rear, but they wont fit the front w/o major fender surgery

im not worried about the diameter so much. im more concerned with the spokes clearing the face of the caliper. i tried a set of 17" wheels from an 02 explorer(high offset from the larger version with IRS) and the spokes hit the calipers.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I had a set of '05 17" Bullitt rims that I did put on my car for one track session, they did clear the Cobra PBRs. If you ask me, they stuck too far into the fender, there was a bit of rub, but not much worse than my R58 Cobra Rs, of course the R58s are 9" and the '05 wheels were 8".

·
Registered
294 Posts
the 04 mustang wheels should fit and clear the brakes, but the wheels would tuck way to much, it would look dumb and likely to rub on the inside.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a set of '05 17" Bullitt rims that I did put on my car for one track session, they did clear the Cobra PBRs.
sweet deal. even though they were bullits, i feel safer to ASSume the split spokes would clear as well knowing yours did.

the 04 mustang wheels should fit and clear the brakes, but the wheels would tuck way to much, it would look dumb and likely to rub on the inside.
highly doubtful; see below, which i posted above. :cool:
my car/combo requires the high offset wheels. my current konigs are 17x8 and +44 offset.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I was in my car on the false grid and a friend pulls up next to me in his 93 GT with 17x9 Villians. I looked at his RR wheel and noticed the crack, looked just like the other pics. Since then he has stopped running them.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Originally Posted by gumby View Post
my car/combo requires the high offset wheels. my current konigs are 17x8 and +44 offset.

What is your car and combo, every car is different. I have a fox with the 96+ spindles and a mm kmemberand the 1.5 inch wider rear axle and having 45mm offset on a 8 inch wheel is overkill and would look stupid with how my fender lined up with the tire and would be even more horrid looking on a late model sn95.

Also, as said by MJ91gt, he had rubbing issues(though slight) and im confident i would also, but we also have mm kmembers.

also, original poster didnt give much info on the car.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I was in my car on the false grid and a friend pulls up next to me in his 93 GT with 17x9 Villians. I looked at his RR wheel and noticed the crack, looked just like the other pics. Since then he has stopped running them.
Who was that?

·
Registered
463 Posts
He says hes got +44 offset 17x8, could this contribute to added stress on the spokes compared to a 17x9 +22 offset konig villian? Deeper rim would have more leverage than a lower offset rim? Just tryin to be optimistic as I have them.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Slap some JB Weld on there and you'll be good for another season.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What is your car and combo, every car is different.
also, original poster didnt give much info on the car.
didnt think you would need all my info since i only asked if they would clear the brakes, AND stated that i am already runnin a rim of similar overall dimensions, but sure, why not, right?

87 turbocoupe
kenny brown tubular kmember for a fox mustang application
kenny brown LCAs (sn95 length)

the 87-88 thunderbird kmember is narrower at the control arm mounting points than a mustang. the combination of wider pick up points and sn95 length arms(same length as stock 87-88 tbird) pushed my suspension outboard, requiring the higher offset wheels in order to clear the fenders.

does any of that help you determine if the 05 split spoke wheels will clear the face of my 04 cobra calipers?

Interesting. I was looking a Villians a little while back. I think I'll stick with beg, heavy OEM rims for now...
im having similar thoughts. im currently runnin a pair of tri-bars on the rear as a temp setup. the offset works well back there, so i am considering runnin a staggered sn95/s197 bullitt combo.

·
Registered
294 Posts
lol, I didn't realize you were the original poster. since you didn't list mods I assumed stock suspension. Even though u only asked if they cleared the cobra brakes, i would have hated for you to get them to find out they rubbed. But it looks like they would be ok of the 44mm offset worked.

sorry i got confused.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
He says hes got +44 offset 17x8, could this contribute to added stress on the spokes compared to a 17x9 +22 offset konig villian? Deeper rim would have more leverage than a lower offset rim? Just tryin to be optimistic as I have them.
Well, mine was the standard Villain from Maximum Motorsports; if that's 22mm then that's what broke.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Well, mine was the standard Villain from Maximum Motorsports; if that's 22mm then that's what broke.
Oh thats just great..... some specs? How old were the wheels, how long they last? street driving or track use? How heavy is the car?

MM claims to have beat the piss out of these wheels....

Was gonna sell them few months ago for some Enkeis but never went through with it, now they will never sell. :shakehead

1 - 20 of 26 Posts