Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to upgrade to Brembo brakes in the not too distant future. I looked at some kits, not too bad prices, but I checked eBay as welll.. There are a fair number of Porsche, Audi etc brembo calipers out there, some 6 piston as well. My question is, would I be able to use any of these with my Mustang? I know I'd need Mustang brackets, but would the lines connect correctly?

Thanks in advance
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
657 Posts
Lines are actually the simplest part of the conversion. You can get all the fittings and pre-made braided hoses from companies like Coleman, Pegasus(sp), etc. Bracketry to mount Porsche or other OE Brembo’s is usually where the difficulty begins along with proper rotor thickness and position.

I believe Jim Franks did it and he posts here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,197 Posts
What he said.

The Cobra R kit is usually cheaper than you will pay for a pair of Porsche calipers, and they bolt right up to your Mustang, no brackets needed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I'll probably end up doing the CObra R kit, as it's not a bad deal at all. I just wanted to look at all options, including going 6 piston.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
657 Posts
Understand. I've been tossing around trying to make a set of C5 vette calipers work as my next project. This would be a step up from the PBR Cobra calipers I have now, but not quite Cobra R level. Sure why not step up to the Cobra R's and be done with it? I like tinkering and making things work for pennies. Using C5 vette caliper would for the most part duplicate the Baer GT kit that goes for about $800.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
O/T I know, but do you have larger pix of the 82 ontrack? That's my favorite fox nose out of all the years... :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jfranci3 said:
You can get a basic R kit for $825 at BuyFordMotorsport.com (it says $899, but subtract the slotted rotors)
Cool, that's cheapest I've heard of so far. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
657 Posts
diablostang said:
O/T I know, but do you have larger pix of the 82 ontrack? That's my favorite fox nose out of all the years... :)
Thanks....! I re-loaded the photos in my gallery at the link below, didn't know it wasn't working. Here is one, the resolution sucks. I do have a really nice one that I need to scan of my car followed by Brian Groths American Iron 95 Cobra R and Dean Martins 05 Grand Am Cup car. I'll post it later.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
Before you decide on an alternate brake upgrade, make sure you understand what might happen if you choose the wrong components. If you head straight for the biggest rotos, most pistons, super aggressive pads, you may end up INCREASING your stopping distance. You may also have a pedal that has excessive travel and then comes on like a micro-switch, not the best set of characteristics to achieve modulation control under threshold braking. Here is a link to an article on the Technical page of our StopTech website:

Brake Bias and Performance, Why Balance Matters

I'm not going to pimp our StopTech brakes on this thread, if you're interested, there's a lot of other info on our website, especially the Technical Page:

StopTech Technical Information

You can compare features such as 1-piece v. 2-piece rotors, pad availability, component costs... As far as balance and performance, you're probably best with the Cobra R setup as opposed to using Porsche or 6-piston calipers not properly matched to your car. Also do some homework on the rear brakes to make sure your set-up is close to what the Cobra R has. There's a lot of info out there on the Cobra R brakes, someone will be able to point you toward a balanced solution.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
[I'm not going to pimp our StopTech brakes on this thread, if you're interested, there's a lot of other info on our website, especially the Technical Page:


He's not going to pimp StopTech brakes but I will. I went from the stock PBR's calipers to the 00R's. Definitely an improvement. Tracked the 00R's many times with no problems. Kept a close eye on the rotors due to the separation issues that seemed to plague some people. Like you, I thought about converting some junk yard Big Reds of a wrecked P-car but after considering what the cost of fabing up mounts and custom hats, I figured a kit was a better and cheaper way to go. I had my eye on the Stop Techs for a while and then was lucky enough to find a guy selling a brand new set up off of his aborted AI project. The difference is quit noticeable. I wish I could describe it better. I could brake later, and harder with no fade and yes I was using the same pads. If you can hold off a little longer to save the money I'm sure you'll never need to up grade your front brakes again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
434 Posts
I am currently "making" a brake sys. for my 86 notch. I got some Wilwood forged billet superlites for free ( kind of a wierd story) so I figured I'd give it a shot. I'm using c5 corvette rotors redrilled to a ford pattern because they had the right offset and were 1.25" thick, which is what the calipers were designed for. I drew up the bracket on mastercam and made it at work, its 6061 t-6 7/16" thick. So far all I have in it are what I paid for the rotors, which were around $50 each. I can't say as to how well it will all work because it is unfinished. Here's a couple of pics to show how I mounted it:
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hwyrngr said:
[I'm not going to pimp our StopTech brakes on this thread, if you're interested, there's a lot of other info on our website, especially the Technical Page:


He's not going to pimp StopTech brakes but I will. I went from the stock PBR's calipers to the 00R's. Definitely an improvement. Tracked the 00R's many times with no problems. Kept a close eye on the rotors due to the separation issues that seemed to plague some people. Like you, I thought about converting some junk yard Big Reds of a wrecked P-car but after considering what the cost of fabing up mounts and custom hats, I figured a kit was a better and cheaper way to go. I had my eye on the Stop Techs for a while and then was lucky enough to find a guy selling a brand new set up off of his aborted AI project. The difference is quit noticeable. I wish I could describe it better. I could brake later, and harder with no fade and yes I was using the same pads. If you can hold off a little longer to save the money I'm sure you'll never need to up grade your front brakes again.
Hmmmm, ok... So the big question.... Is it worth the extra $1,000-$1,500...? Or if I was going to spend more, would it be more worthwhile to go to something like a 6 piston...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
657 Posts
86gtop said:
I am currently "making" a brake sys. for my 86 notch. I got some Wilwood forged billet superlites for free ( kind of a wierd story) so I figured I'd give it a shot. I'm using c5 corvette rotors redrilled to a ford pattern because they had the right offset and were 1.25" thick, which is what the calipers were designed for. I drew up the bracket on mastercam and made it at work, its 6061 t-6 7/16" thick. So far all I have in it are what I paid for the rotors, which were around $50 each. I can't say as to how well it will all work because it is unfinished.

Keep us posted......I like seeing projects like this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
diablostang said:
Hmmmm, ok... So the big question.... Is it worth the extra $1,000-$1,500...? Or if I was going to spend more, would it be more worthwhile to go to something like a 6 piston...
Read this paragraph again:

StopTech Service said:
Before you decide on an alternate brake upgrade, make sure you understand what might happen if you choose the wrong components. If you head straight for the biggest rotos, most pistons, super aggressive pads, you may end up INCREASING your stopping distance. You may also have a pedal that has excessive travel and then comes on like a micro-switch, not the best set of characteristics to achieve modulation control under threshold braking. Here is a link to an article on the Technical page of our StopTech website:

Brake Bias and Performance, Why Balance Matters
Are you gonna be racing the 24 hours of LeMans next year? If not, then 6 pistons are probably overkill. They'd probably impress people in the paddock at the next HPDE though.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top