Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im putting together a 302 with an on3 turbo. I was wondering if a breather tank with a single -12 line plumbed to the original pcv valve location would be sufficient.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I don't think so. On my 90 GT w a turbo at 9psi we put a small breather on the pcv and a screw in breather on the valve cover and still had excessive crankcase pressure.

I even tried running a second passenger side valve cover with a screw in breather on the drivers side. This worked but I didn't like the fumes and oil vapor. Finally got a -10 bung welded to each vc and ran them both to a dual inlet Moroso catch can. Problem solved.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what i was originally planning. I just thought a single -12 would be much cleaner looking setup.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Thats what i was originally planning. I just thought a single -12 would be much cleaner looking setup.
Yeah i would like to know that also?

·
Registered
383 Posts

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I just bought a moroso catch can with 12an inlets the can is huge im trying to just find a place to mount it...lol then the 12an fittings to each valve cover is going to be fun too...lol...no room under my hood...this is going to be fun...:shakehead

·
Registered
297 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts

·
Registered
1,977 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
Do you know if they can put [2] -12 an fittings on that can?
Just buy the can and a cheap -12 bulkhead set. A unibit and two minutes of your time will net you what you want.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Just buy the can and a cheap -12 bulkhead set. A unibit and two minutes of your time will net you what you want.
Ok makes sense but how to you tighten the bulk head ditting in a solid can is there a way to get into it?

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Try to make sure your breather tank is at least level with the valve covers. My tank is mounted in the inner fender and lower that the valve covers.

And all the condensation runs into the can and when it combines with hot gases from crankcase it turns a milkshake like snot that takes 30 minutes to drain out.

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
Ok makes sense but how to you tighten the bulk head ditting in a solid can is there a way to get into it?
You make a good point. How would I do it if you can not get inside the plastic can? Take the -6an out, drill undersized for the -12an and use the fitting to thread the plastic. DON't crank or torque it down with too much force. Use a rubber O-Ring to seal.

·
Registered
737 Posts
i recently put vaccume setup on my car. i'm using electric vaccume pump off of a 98cobra with -8 to pcv and valve cover out into catch can in fenderwell. it has 2"vaccume at wot full boost. no more fumes in car or pesky oil leaks.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
i run a single 12AN to my breather tank, and i dont experience excessive crankcase pressure. Now if i were to do it again i would just run a dual 10an or 12an just to make sure.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
i run a single 12AN to my breather tank, and i dont experience excessive crankcase pressure. Now if i were to do it again i would just run a dual 10an or 12an just to make sure.
Do you run a PCV or did you elimate it? I was thinking of just running one 12an to my breather tank...but was told 2 lines were better....

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I would personally not run any less than 2 breather lines. You can never have too much breathing capability. I'm acutally running 3 myself simply due to the amout of street duty my car will see.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I would personally not run any less than 2 breather lines. You can never have too much breathing capability. I'm acutally running 3 myself simply due to the amout of street duty my car will see.
Really 3 ?....Do you run a PCV valve?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
No. The 3rd breather line comes from the PCV port into the breather tank along with a line from each valve cover. The lifter valley is the main area for crankcase evacuation, so the back of the lower intake will evacuate most of the pressure. The lines from the valve covers will simply pick up what the lower intake did not. Why wait for the pressure to travel up through the heads when you can get most of it out of the lower intake? It's not something I've seen done before, but I'm going to give it a try. Some may consider it excessive, but I'm sure it will work great for my needs.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hey Scott, when you added the lines to your valve covers, did you also add a baffle plate or is it just open on the underside of the valve cover?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts