Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TFS Top End. V2 s-trim. Makes 10psi.

Making some changes for summer, bigger pulley, and I want to changed the breather set up.

Current set up:
Breather on the pax side VC
Lower intake has a hose running to a small breather
Upper intake plugged
TB and filler neck plugged

What I'm shooting for:
Works good, car doesn't see lots of idle time, oil is changed more often than it ever needs to be.
During the summer the cabin gets stinky when it gets pretty hot out.
I would like to stop this.

Plan:
VC breather that uses a ball to close in vacuum and open in boost.
Same thing with the rear, does a smaller filter exist?

Does this set up cause any problems?

·
Registered
21,865 Posts
run a proper closed system, that allows the fumes to be ingested by the engine and released out of the tailpipes

breathers, are for '50-'60s cars

·
Registered
90 Posts
As indy said, nothing will work better than a closed system. I know Indy pushes it a fair bit and rightly so. You have free vacuum to use.
Just install a catch can between the rear lower manifold PCV port and the intake manifold. Put a check valve in the line that goes from the catch can to the upper intake manifold.

Then have a line pre-vortech(post maf unless you are blow though) that goes to the filler neck/valve cover. I would go larger than the small stock line, as this will be your fresh air inlet during normal driving. When on boost, this will be your crankcase vent line. Ideally you would also add a catch can to this line.

That way both under vacuum and boost the crank is being evacuated. I personally believe the crankcase evac under normal driving is most important, as we spend 99% of the time there. Have it working properly. If you don't want to run a hose from the valve cover to the vortech for evac under boost, then just run a normal breather on the valve cover. This will allow fresh air to be sucked into the crankcase and into the pcv valve under normal driving. If you use a breather with a check valve, you won't be able to get fresh air into the crank.

The way you described your potential set up won't work well also, as you will have no vacuum in the crankcase to shut the one way breather valve. You would need the rear pcv working properly, which will create vacuum, and keep your valve cover breather shut(but then where is the fresh air inlet??) Without vacuum in the crank case, both breathers will be venting all the time, albeit not as efficiently as they have a ball check valve in the way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts