·
Registered
279 Posts
sure sounds like oil starvation.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
The update so far, is still no cause for failure. Some kinda of pressure only on the back side of the thrust bearing (TC clearance? something internal to the engine?) I dont know. The second oil report states coolant contamination... how could that be from a thrust bearing being pushed from the trans/tc? or would all that bearing material blow out the head gasket? or some seal?

Oil Report at 210 miles first Oil Change: Screenshot
Oil Report at 1110~ miles: Screenshot

MMR says it was the trans side of the thrust bearing only worn (which then those pieces chewed up the other bearings).

Trans/TC/Flexplate checked out fine. Only thing Im thinking is the TC clearance was too tight on install?

CHP said the TC clearance… had about .080-.100” installed.

Transmission Builder - That’s tight for sure. But with a converter that has a strong balloon plate, that shouldn’t be much to worry about. Specifically, if the converter builder found nothing wrong, as long as the converter spins freely in the pilot then you should be ok unless the converter balloons. With the converter being ok, how could it be anything on the other side of it? The converter sits in the middle and would certainly show at least something. So would the flexplate. But, again, the transmission can’t do that.

Torque Converter Builder - .100 will do, but you should be seeing between .150-.180. I build all AODE/4R70W to stock heights. A thicker flex plate my be the problem, but if you don't rev over 7500 rpm, it will be fine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Transmission was Dyno'd at ArtCarr transmissions/California performance transmissions.

It had no issues. Good pressure, Good shifting, Good tcc lock up, worked perfect. It didnt kill their trans dyno motor.

Video: artcarr-darrinBCA-4r70w-dyno-100k+miles.mp4

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Mini update for anyone following. Ive got a stock used 90k mile motor dropped in, with the same trans, same tune, same torque converter, same fuel injectors/coils, same oil cooler, I didnt use the same upgraded flexplate.. I went with the OEM stock one at the recommendation of ArtCarrs Transmission that inspected the flexplates and trans. Just no benefit for my use case. I did since i had so much time on my hands, redo all the fuel injector and sparkplug connectors on the engine wiring harness .

No overheating on the freeway on a cold night the like the custom shortblock did. Only 100 miles in but it feels stronger then the racing engine I had built. See if I can magically kill the thrust bearing with all my powers combined. She rips through 2nd gear, feels like a beast. Im pretty convinced it was something with the build of that short block, but time will tell.

Picture: IMG_20200326_141036.jpg

·
Registered
279 Posts
Nice to hear your back on the road. If you take your belt off and give the crank a good tug front to back you will know if you still have an issue. 100 miles would be lots of time, as in my experience the thrust gets ripped thru really fast if theres an issue. I'm feeling your pain.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Thanks Dono2, 150-200 miles almost now, and these are extremely hard miles. Im spinning shifting, holding gears. Which I never did at all with the other engine because of the break in period. I completely babied and never went over 4k with the racing shortblock.

i can do 80mph at night for unlimited time and the car hovers at 190~ degrees (that's with aggressive driving/pulls) with the custom racing shortblock it was running hot within 15~ minutes of freeway driving.

Something was off internally, or maybe with the timing/assembly of the engine. who knows.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Im no expert, but looking at those pictures, that motor had a lubrication issue.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts