Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 312 Posts

·
USAF retired
9,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
It should work, I'd buy that set up that's above but I've already got the NC brackets so....
Anyway keep us posted how it goes if you would.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
yea i will if i do in fact decide to buy new axles (stock length).

adam

·
USAF retired
9,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I've been driving mine with the bracket cut the second way since late April. Just drove it to Wisconsin last week without any troubles, no difference in braking, nor any noises.

·
Registered
624 Posts
tests

it seems to be safe, i guess:confused: , But is any body else using this setup on their car. I would like to not have to pay $150 for the NC brackets but it is not that much when it comes to brake safty.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
ok, anybody know the differences in the "hat height" between the stock GT (non-vented) rotors and the cobra ones? im really tempted to do this now that i have everything on the way its supposed to be and my tires are hitting the fenders...

thanks,
adam

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
ok well i just measured and the hat height between the cobra and GT rotors are the same. the only thing holding me back now from actually doing this is having a set of stock length axles....

anybody have any or know where i can find some cheap?

adam

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
David, what axles are you using and where did you get them?

EDIT: ok i see ranger axles.

thanks,
adam

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
ok, it works with cobra rear brakes as well. im glad i didnt waste my money on the north cobra brackets. there is some fabricating though. i still haev to cut and re-make the anti-moans so they can work....

i did run into a little snag though. the center "hub" on the ranger axles is smaller in diameter than the hole in the rotors. so the rotor has play while sitting on the axle. is there some spacer or eccentric that people are using to locate the rotor to the ranger axle?

adam

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
for anyone who cares, i fixed the above ^^^ play in the rotors by making eccentrics out of 2.5"ID and 2.75"OD pipe.

adam

·
Registered
537 Posts
Washers

avbcon12 said:
for anyone who cares, i fixed the above ^^^ play in the rotors by making eccentrics out of 2.5"ID and 2.75"OD pipe.

adam
I care.
I was almost ready to pull the trigger on the SN95 conversion with the brackets cut the 2nd way when I saw that kit for Cobra rear rotors. Can these be bought through any Ford dealership? Part or item #???

Also, what's the thickness on those axle/hub washers?
Thanks,

Gerardo

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
OK Sea Biscuit........ :lol:

The post WAY above has a direct link to the page on the Ford catalog, part # M-2300-M

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=6355

I'm checking with Mike at TVF for our WSM discount price. :D

Adam........ great info on the spacer. I told G about some spacers someone else had, but hey if they can be made for cheap, that's what we want to know!

Thanks!

Thomas

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
all the spacers are is a piece of 2.5"ID and 2.75" OD tube (so the pipe is 1/8" wall thickness) and only has to be about 3/8" wide (chunk cut off the pipe).

if that size is hard to find around you, you can alwaus get a larger diameter pipe that is 1/8" wall (say 3" ID or something) and cut a small section out of the pipe and bend it to make it 2.5" ID.... get what im saying???

theres really nothing to this swap, im really glad i did it because now my 17X9 wheels fit nicely under the fender. im working on fabbing up the anti-moan brackets now. all that needs to be done is cut them and re-weld them... nothing to it.

take care,
adam

·
Registered
537 Posts
brakets

trbkrb said:
OK Sea Biscuit........ :lol:

The post WAY above has a direct link to the page on the Ford catalog, part # M-2300-M

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=6355

I'm checking with Mike at TVF for our WSM discount price. :D

Adam........ great info on the spacer. I told G about some spacers someone else had, but hey if they can be made for cheap, that's what we want to know!

Thanks!

Thomas
LOL!!
Thomas,
Yeah, I think I'm already a Corral member but have never posted. I tried using my Ebay username (remember ?)but I think someone else is using it so I had to go with the current one.
Anyway, thanks for the info and link. The install instructions are top notch. Already printed them. Please let us know about that WSM discount from Mike Horne.

Adam,
Any chance of you posting pics of where to cut those anti-moan brakets??
Thanks guys!

Gerardo:)

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
yea i plan on doing the anti-moans tomorrow so ill take pics as i go.

adam

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
ok, the anti-moans worked out great and only took about 10 minutes of fab work. i didnt take pics because my battery on the camera was dead.

heres what i did:
cut the weld off so the flat (well bent) part of the bracket (the part that bolts to the caliper bracket with 2 holes) so the anti-moan is in 2 pieces now. then i cut about 1/2" off of the part of the bracket that is rounded to curve over the axle tube (the part that makes contact with the axle tube). then i just welded the other part of the bracket (the one where the U-bolt bolts onto) back onto the other part of the bracket (so it looks like it was the way before i started). if you stand the part of the bracket that bolts to the caliper bracket on its end (so the 2 bolt holes are flat on a table or something, the distance from that table to where i welded the other half of the bracket is 2.5". it used to be about 3".

so basically i just cut off about 1/2". they are ont he car now and mounted perfectly. now i just have to get a battery and go driving.

adam

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a quick question for all you Turbocoupe rear end experts. I will be putting a T/C rear in my 83 and I am concerned about tire clearance - don't want to modify the body. So I am looking at this great thread and I see that with some modifications, I can move the calipers in 3/4" to bring it back to the original width. My question is: Do I just need to find Mustang axles from an 8.8 rear? Will the axles from my 7.5 rear work? Thanks for any help that you can give.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Yes they should work fine, as the 7.5 Mustang axles are the same size as the 8.8 Mustang axles. The cars I've seen with modified TBird disc brackets also had to use washers to center the caliper correctly and they had to grind off and relocate the anti-moan brackets, since the brackets are welded to the axle tube as opposed to bolted on like the SN95 ones. But unless you are running 9" wide wheels designed for the stock Mustang offset, then the additional .75" per side should not be a problem. IMO, the Turbocoupe and 94-98 SN95 width looks much better on Fox cars with 8" wide or narrower wheels.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Super_Irish -
I owe you a beer! :leghump:

I ran across this thread after I upgraded to SN95 rears and axles. I bought some 17x9s, and 5 lug Fox-stock length axles, and my rear brakes no longer aligned. Thanks to your ingenuity, I'm back on the road with $170 still in my pocket (and no, you can't have it - I'm grateful and all, though :))

I debated cutting it in a "C" like your second post indicated, but I though I'd rather have the ability to weld it back together solidly than to have an entire piece missing until I got it welded.

I made my cuts at an angle, and did so such that if a bolt broke, the angle would wedge up against the second piece. Should hold just fine until I find time to get it welded. Matt should seriously consider your tip for his web page!

Again, thank you - and the Corral!

So, here ya go!

·
USAF retired
9,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Nice looking car you got there Vettkillr, and thanks for the kind words. I cut mine like the second way and have only to weld in the missing section. It doesn't do anything but have the third bolt for the splash shield. Have rebuilt rear back in as of today so I can weld it up this week.

21 - 40 of 312 Posts