Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used speed bleeders? I used the mityvac last time and wasted a lot of fluid and quite messy.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I have speed bleeders on my brakes(Cobra brakes on Fox stang). I'm satisfied with them.
They make 1 person bleeding really easy. Crack a bleeder and slowly/repeatedly pump the brake pedal. Check fluid level frequently.
When done with corner, move onto the next. All 4 corners can be done in less than 10 minutes(after jacking up and removing wheels).

I have read that after a few times of loosening/tightening the bleeders, the "anti-leak" sealant on the threads can wear away, which can allow air to be pulled back past the bleeder. I think you can buy more sealant, but not sure on that. I've only bled mine one time when I originally put them on.

I remember back in the day when I had to do one-man brake bleeding and didn't have mityvac(or speed bleeders). I pumped up the pedal and wedged a 2x4 between the pedal and the front seat. I would then go to the respective wheel and crack the bleeder(lather/rinse/repeat). That took a solid 10 minutes per corner. That sucked.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Been using them for 10 years on my track car and love them. Probably have cracked them open over 100 times. They do seep around the threads a little when open but it doesn't seem to cause any problem.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
how many pumps do you do per wheel, and how many times do you repeat the process?

·
Registered
267 Posts
how many pumps do you do per wheel, and how many times do you repeat the process?
I do somewhere around 20 pumps for the rears and about 1/2 of that for the front as they are closer to the MC so there's not as much fluid in the lines. That will empty a bottle of Motul 600 and I'm done. I do it in the spring right before track season starts and I'm done for the season. When I was using the stock calipers I was doing it all the time because I was boiling the fluid frequently.

·
Registered
694 Posts
They do seep around the threads a little when open but it doesn't seem to cause any problem.
I used speed bleeders for a while but didn't feel comfortable with the seepage.
Switched to a motive pressure bleeder and have been very happy with the results. Probably the same amount of time, or shorter, to bleed all four than with speed bleeders.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I used speed bleeders for a while but didn't feel comfortable with the seepage.
Switched to a motive pressure bleeder and have been very happy with the results. Probably the same amount of time, or shorter, to bleed all four than with speed bleeders.
I too like the Motive Bleeder. No seepage issues and its quick.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
thanks blurr

for the motive guys which kit are you using the 0107?

·
Registered
788 Posts
0107 is appropriate for the master cylinders with 3 tabs. It is the one that I use. You can use it on other vehicles too with the appropriate adapters (sold separately).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts