Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 03 mach1 with the stock brakes and as some of you have heard before I am constantly breaking rotors on one particular road course.Dust shields are gone and I've got quantum cooling duct brackets and 3 inch ducting.I have figured out which pads will survive(Raybestos ST41s) but am trying to avoid a complete and expensive hardwear upgrade (Stoptech kit $2500).I an now wondering if there is a way to shift some bias toward the rear w/o screwing up the ABS.It seems that the front is doing almost all the work which I realize is normal but it seems the rear could be doing some more.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I've got an 03 mach1 with the stock brakes and as some of you have heard before I am constantly breaking rotors on one particular road course.Dust shields are gone and I've got quantum cooling duct brackets and 3 inch ducting.I have figured out which pads will survive(Raybestos ST41s) but am trying to avoid a complete and expensive hardwear upgrade (Stoptech kit $2500).I an now wondering if there is a way to shift some bias toward the rear w/o screwing up the ABS.It seems that the front is doing almost all the work which I realize is normal but it seems the rear could be doing some more.
Gut the factory prop valve and install an adjustable prop valve, just like thousands have done before. The ABS system won't care.

More interesting is why you're cracking rotors. What's you're driving style like? My guess is that you're abusing the brakes. I'm also wondering why you're running Raybestos pads instead of a more popular HPDE pad from Porterfield or Hawk.

·
Super Moderator
27,653 Posts
Are your ducts concentrating the airflow into the hat of the rotor, or do they blow on the face of the rotor too?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We've had this discussion about where the air is directed so I bought some new spindle brackets from Quantum which do alot better job of getting the air to the center of the rotor so it's not that.I'm starting to think it's just a heavy fast car and only a hardware upgrade with a larger(thicker)heat sink is going to help.

·
Registered
135 Posts
What's your cool down technique like? I cracked both rotors once when I pulled off the track without a cool down lap. In crowded pits, sometimes it's hard to not come to a complete stop or stay off them as much as you would like.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts